• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a house at the beach......(questions/ideas from the experts).

95gAtl

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
115   0
Reaction score
Fellas,
Been a dream of mine to have a beach house (or house within a block/two from the beach).
Thinking of purchasing a lot and having a house built.....small house, b/c I will not be financing anything. Really would love to get the ball rolling within the next year or two.

May even consider a "modular" type of home (not mobile/doublewide/trailer) b/c the codes won't allow them.

Spoke to building folks in the town two years ago and size is not a factor as far as minimum sq ft. They mentioned someone else building a shotgun style home themselves under 600 sq ft and they approved it.

House would have to follow hurricane codes for FL and such. I know if I hire a contractor to do it i'm well north of $100/sq ft. I'd like to avoid that.

SO: I would even consider a contractor building the "shell", maybe sheetrock inside and let me paint, do flooring, kitchen cabinets, etc. I have done that many times remodeling my rentals. Don't know if that is cost effective and if I am really saving money or not...?

I'd love to hear SERIOUS suggestions from folks that have experience in this area. I would consider stick built 400 sq ft to 800 sq ft.........and consider modular that doesn't look like a darn trailer.

Thx.

If you build it yourself, you KNOW what shortcuts were (or were not) taken. I worked on 3 houses in a row on the same street, all built by 3 different framing crews. One was solid, one was alright, and the 3rd was rickety as hell.

If you're able to build some or all of it yourself, I would think that's the way to go for your own piece of mind. Especially being your dream home, it doesn't sound like something you're going to sell or get rid of a few years down the line.

just buy one in need of a heavy remodel. friend of ours purchased an 800 sqft one down in panama city for around 30k and put another 10-15 in and its a very nice little vacation house

That is completely do-able, but I try to avoid PC. I go a little further east towards PSJ.
Do you know if he got his in Panama City Beach area?? that, i'd consider.

If you can PM me a location, i'd appreciate it.

That is completely do-able, but I try to avoid PC. I go a little further east towards PSJ.
Do you know if he got his in Panama City Beach area?? that, i'd consider.

If you can PM me a location, i'd appreciate it.

you can find them all over the state for that kinda price, just look for anythign in need of a good rehab. alot of folks buy vacations houses down there and then just let them go and after years tehy dont want to mess with it and just end up letting them go. i'd just get on the local craiglists and start looking around.

Back
Top Bottom