• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building AR-15 - Lower receiver?

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
I have the AR bug. Originally I was looking at low-end ARs by Century (Neutered M16-A1) and Olympic. Olympic doesn't sell the specific style I'm looking for, and the Century seem a little pricey for a parts gun. I thought I'd probably be better off picking up a used early Colt 20" upper and slapping it to any old lower. I would like to assemble my lower myself. As I understood it, lower receivers were treated as rifles, and anybody 18+ could simply pick up a stripped lower at a gun shop and start their build. Not so, I hear. Lower receivers are treated as AOWs now because they may be built as rifles or pistols. So, if you're 6 months shy of 21, what is a guy to do? Wait it out? Buy the Century?

Can I buy a lower receiver privately under the new-ish law? Seems like I should be able to. I can buy a handgun from a private party under federal and state law. Why not a lower? I'm a little confused by the AOW law on AR receivers... seems kind of senseless to me.

After more research im hearing you can not as well, my suggestion would be to buy a cheap ar and slowly over time buy and sell parts till you have what you want.

Hm. Federal law allows me to purchase a handgun. Why not a base that can be built into a handgun, or rifle? Can anybody link me to the Federal or State law that prohibits me from buying an assembled or stripped lower from an individual? This stinks. Whoever enacted this is a moron.

Hm. Federal law allows me to purchase a handgun. Why not a base that can be built into a handgun, or rifle? Can anybody link me to the Federal or State law that prohibits me from buying an assembled or stripped lower from an individual? This stinks. Whoever enacted this is a moron.

AFAIK there is no federal law that prohibits you from buying a stripped lower from an individual, only from an licensee (a FFL). I have not looked into the full details, but I was under the impression that you can legally buy an assembled lower from a dealer - once the rifle-stock is added it can no longer be legally assembled into a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom