Building Reloading Bench Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
I am in the process of gathering materials to build a small relaoding bench. I was going to follow the design found in another post but I stumbled upon some cheap used kitchen cabinets. It seems these would be sturdy and provide additional storage. My questions are:

1. Could I get away with putting a peice of laminate counter top on it or should I use 3/4 plywood? I understand the plywood will be stronger but will the laminate hold under constant preasure? Seems the laminate will provide me a back and sides as well as looking a little more suitable inside the house.

2. I dont have alot of room to work with. Will 4 ft wide be enough to run a press and have enough room to grow or should I start out larger?

honestly you can't build them sturdy enough it seems so anything you can do to make it more sturdy will benfit you.

my best table has 2 x 6 top then 3/4" plywood topped with a laminate..the laminat is great for keeping things clean.

heavy as the devel but SOLID

Solid Core Doors are one of the oldest, cheapest, and easy to install solutions that you can find ... If you are installing it on an existing wall, you can use a 2x4 screwed into the studs to support the back of it.

Yeah, you carpenter types will understand the concept of "scabbing" and making a load bearing beam by sandwiching a piece of plywood between a couple of 2x8's ...
"stiff and strong" .... If your 2x6 workbench is "flexing" on you ... crawl underneah and "scab" a sheet of plywood onto the underside using sheetrock screws.
The plywood doesn't even have to be exactly "to size" .... If you like, you can "scab" both sides ... Elmers Glue only add s to the rigidity! Then my presses have some framing steel 2" x 2" "washers" on the through bolts under them as well as the usual washers .... SOLID!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom