• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Built first AR, having trouble cycling

burritooo

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
I'm just having trouble with getting my first AR build to cycle. It's definitely in the lower, and likely in the buffer/tube. Charging handle doesn't even let me pull back the BCG after firing a round. Have to force it open.
Did the same problem using my lower with a friend's upper...
What do you think it could be?

I have looked through the forum and haven't found any other similar issues yet.

I’d check for:

Hammer sticking
Set screw in the lower, if yours has that, (for upper receiver tension) too tight.
Bent buffer tube.
Buffer retainer too tall and catching BCG.

Lower machined out of spec causing BCG not to alight with buffer tube.

Does the buffer slide freely? As in, can you use a wooden dowel and push the buffer all the way to the back of the tube and back freely? Does the buffer retainer pin look OK? Do you see any scratching or abbrasions where something is hitting something else?

Does the trigger operate and reset properly when not installed on the upper?

Hey thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what the "set screw in lower" means, though. I live in Roswell too.

Several lowers have a screw in them that acts as a wedge to tension against the upper to reduce slack between the two for a tighter lock up.

As mentioned earlier I'd for sure check your buffer retainer. It should only be high enough to hold back the buffer spring and buffer. Also I'd check your buffer tube/endplate/castle but. Making sure there is nothing interfering with proper bcg cycling there as well. Assuming you changed complete uppers, make sure you try a different bcg as well

Several lowers have a screw in them that acts as a wedge to tension against the upper to reduce slack between the two for a tighter lock up.

As mentioned earlier I'd for sure check your buffer retainer. It should only be high enough to hold back the buffer spring and buffer. Also I'd check your buffer tube/endplate/castle but. Making sure there is nothing interfering with proper bcg cycling there as well. Assuming you changed complete uppers, make sure you try a different bcg as well

The buffer retainer... so it might be too high? How would I end up lowering it?
Also, how would I be able to check if there's nothing interfering with the BCG cycle? Have definitely used two different complete uppers with two different BCG.

Had trigger reset issues before that, and gunsmith fixed the trigger part that wasn't resetting (it was a brand new Anderson trigger)

Back
Top Bottom