• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Built first AR, having trouble cycling

Post a picture of the lower receiver. Top view, side view, internals as mush as possible, and where the buffer retainer/tube meet.

Edit:
Are you using factory ammo or reloads? Can you cycle through a few rounds by just pulling back the charging handle? Did you have the headspacing checked?

The buffer retainer... so it might be too high? How would I end up lowering it?
Also, how would I be able to check if there's nothing interfering with the BCG cycle? Have definitely used two different complete uppers with two different BCG.

Well if everything is installed correctly and the retainer is in spec then no, it can't be too high. As in, it's not adjustable. However if you havthreaded the buffer tube to deep and its resting against the retainer, preventing it from be depressed onto the spring then it would be sitting too high. Or you could have the wrong spring below it, not allowing it to depress to the correct position. Hope that makes sense. You should be able to easily depress and release the buffer retainer with your fingertip.

Also, the trigger could still be an issue. I wouldn't mark it off the list completely yet. @smiller4169 would be a good resource to use if yall can meet up.

Back
Top Bottom