• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Built not Bought

I have had 20+ AR15s and AR10 and I only bought 4 off the shelf. After I built the first 40 I put my heart and soul in. From that point on I decided I would never buy another on of the shelf. Will is hold it value, probably not. Will you catch a lot of flack about a Frankenstein rifle, Yes. This is the way I look at it. I put my hands on every part before I buy it. I also put all high line parts in it. As much as possible I like to check fit between receivers. Check the tolerance between the BCG and Upper receiver. I work a lot with Steve at SR armory and he lets me do my own little checks for the perfect fit. Steve will bend over backwards to make you happy. Nothing is out of bounds unless there is potentially harm the product.

To me knowing exactly what I have in and on my gun is paramount. If something doesn't turn out just right it's not tinkered with and thrown in a box and sent out anyway. I address the problem and make sure it's 100% before I go on to the next part of the build. I know the parts that give me what I expect from a rifle and I don't have to pay 2 to 3 grand to get it. My build usually cost me between 12 to 14 hundred depending on the coatings, barrel options, handguard selection and funiture I opt for. I have never had a rifle I built let met down. I have pretty much got my parts recipe down to where I get a consistent product at the end. The only things I change up sometime is the handguard or barrel to continue that search for the most attractive and most accurate guns I can build. I applaud you for building your gun instead of getting a shelf guns. I honestly believe that if you don't cheap out on the parts you get a better gun building one rather than buying a shelf gun in the same price point. Props on your build. Keep on building brother. You have to watch out it can become addictive as heroin.

Allsmiles- I originally was going sbr with a can. I bought a 5" Tros 3lug barrel and then decided against it. My previous project was a SBR along with a 22lr upper and can. The barrel that is on it is a first gen Taccom ULW (7" barrel with shroud welded to get to 16") All I reload is 147's. They shoot so nice. I'm running a JP bolt with a JP SCS buffer assembly. Seems to be tuned right but I may drop the buffer weight a little.

Greg- I know what you mean. Im a big fan of building a top end rifle. I really enjoy building them and doing the cerakote myself. Here is the sbr project. I don't have a photo of the 22lr upper in my phone.
IMG_1177.JPG

ATX Billet 40
They are really a unique set. I don't remember ever seeing them before. I might have use those on my next build. I have to get a NiB BCG and Handguard to finish up my current build and then I am going to start my next one. That might have to include those billet receivers. Really attractive set up there.

So what... nobody builds them in the Colt mag style anymore? Yeah I know Glock mags are plentiful and cheap but it's just a funny looking setup. Maybe I'm just out of style and not cool.:becky:

Thanks Greg. The pictures should still be up. I'll take some more pictures of both the builds and post them later.

I don't have a problem with the colt lowers. The Glock lowers have just really appealed to me since DDLES was making them.

IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG

Can't wait for my stamps to come back for the top rifle. The 22lr has a 4" barrel to keep bulk ammo subsonic. It is a lot of fun suppressed. May end up ditching the CMC later for another hyperfire....

Back
Top Bottom