• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bulk ammo empty cases - which are best?

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Been rolling my own for all my pistol calibers for a few years now and now I'm going to start loading for rifle (starting with 223). I'm still going to buy bulk ammo to supplement my stash as I figure out what components I like best and I can start cranking out quality rounds efficiently.

That said, of of all the bulk plinking ammo out there, does any particular brand have better cases for re-loaders? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

There are favorites among all reloaders as to brass type.
Myself I believe any of the manufactures other than the really inexpensive Commie (Russian) imports are about equal.
the thing that I would do is try to find ammo that is not military crimped in the 556/223 , it just makes life easier if you got hundreds/thousands of once fired cases to get ready for reloading.
hope this thought helps you.
I kind of lean to American Eagle new rounds as the brass is good and the prices are usually pretty good in bulk.

There are favorites among all reloaders as to brass type.
Myself I believe any of the manufactures other than the really inexpensive Commie (Russian) imports are about equal.
the thing that I would do is try to find ammo that is not military crimped in the 556/223 , it just makes life easier if you got hundreds/thousands of once fired cases to get ready for reloading.
hope this thought helps you.
I kind of lean to American Eagle new rounds as the brass is good and the prices are usually pretty good in bulk.

The vast majority of my cases aren't military crimped. I'll just toss the stuff that is into a container and circle back to it when necessary.

Know any of the favorites?

Check out this thread from @Sean5170Ryan I got 500 tumbled 223 shells for $25. A few were badly crushed, but only 2 or 3 were not salvageable so I actually got 524 usable shells. @Sean5170Ryan works at GA Firing Line, and was easy to work with. He also has .45 ($50/K), .40 ($22.50/K), 9MM ($20/K) and 380 ($20/500) available.

Good to know but I've got a metric ton of brass so I don't see myself paying for any for a long time.I will still buy bulk for those days when I know I'm going to shoot a few hundred rounds and don't want to fly through all of my reloads and will eventually reuse that brass. Maybe I'll get to the point where I can only shoot rifle reloads as I do with pistol cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom