• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bullets Flying Towards My House ! HELP !

BobcatMan

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
192   0
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I had a crazy experience today and was hoping i could get some oppinions. My neighbors and I both are gun enthusiast and shoot a few rounds every once in a while. The neighbors multi family compound has a youngen that just turned 21 recently and got a 9mm pistol. Today i went outside on my deck with my german shepherd and hear pow pow, then ZING, a bullet flew very close to my house and myself ( maybe 10-50 ft away ). Obviously this kid was shooting without a backstop and very dangerously. After getting inside ASAP i hid behind the chimney inside and tried to YELL out the door yelling the kids name. I guess he didn't hear me because there were about 50rnds total fired, some of which were mag dumps. After talking to a few ex military friends they tell me that not all bullets make that noise ( which is irrelevant kind of ) but it made me wonder how many bullets were flying near me. I feel lucky to be alive. Since he wouldn't stop firing i had to call the police, i would have drove down there but didn't want to catch a bullet thru my windshield.I did some recon to every surrounding neighbor, none of them had been shooting and were all older quiet folks. After the police when down to the neighbor that was doing the shooting they just left, the kid lied about shooting. I talked to 2 other people that live on their hillbilly compound that told me the kid was shooting. well when i went down there he lied to me and said he wasn't shooting ( probably because he was scared ), i noticed he had his new gun on top of the center console of his truck with the door open. He proceeded to tell me " there aint even any bullets in it ". I have been down at this " compound " of rednecks before for new years etc and seen him shooting and its in the direction of my house in a flat field. I didn't say anything because he is about 50ft or so less altitude and about 200yrds away thru some trees/my driveway/ power line. I was very surprised a 9mm rnd ( or multiples ) made it up to me. either way I'm concerned for my safety and my animals safety. the cops didn't do anything and I'm wondering what i should do. there is another house, right in the line of fire that the bullet was traveling and they have a 2 kids and 2 dogs and were terrified to hear my experience, they heard shots but were inside. I dont know if i should go to the law and make an official report, try and report him to the sheriff and have his CCW yanked ( if he even has one ) or what the heck to do. any help would be greatly appretiated. I have never heard a bullet whiz by me before and the more i think about it the more i feel like i need to defend my home somehow. I told the officers not to get him in trouble, just that i wanted safety and i wasn't able to go down there comfortably thats why i called them. the way they enter my driveway put them in no harm. i would have had to drive towards the firing to go speak to this kid. Well since he denied it now i feel more threatened, if he had said " dang man I'm so sorry it won't happen ever again " that would be a lot different. Please help out y'all, i dont know what to do, thanks in advance

OMG solid wall of text! Paragraphs stat!!!

Okay. I read thru it.

Richochets and bounced, mutilated bullets make... a lot of noise. As in, even when they are flying the opposite direction you are going, you still hear a loud, "ZIINNNG!". Even littl and slow bullets like 9mm.

Good news is that, while noisy, they are relatively low energy. Unless you see leaves falling and holes in your house, its not that big a deal. Annoying and you shouldn't have to put up with it, but not an immediate risk. Of course, I have been shot at fer' reals, so maybe my tolerance for bullets is higher, YMMV.

Hopefully, having the law called down on Jr. will make him more circumspect about using his parent's back yard for a shooting range in the future.

Last edited:
Shoot back.. IDK?

This. Law exists that if you feel your life is threatened, you can fire back. So fire back; he'll get the message. Doubt he'll call the cops anyway; these don't sound like folks that like calling the law.

Sometimes you just need a common sense solution between two private parties. Take a page from Hunter S. Thompson's book.

Go talk to the adults or responsible people. I'd start out nice. Might be simple as that to get them shooting into a backstop or safe direction. If they're not nice about it I would remind them you might forget about your backstop and have some target practice in their direction.

I didn't know there is anywhere in Alpharetta that is not within city limits. How the hell could a kid dump a whole mag without getting into trouble? Did the police even get out of their cruiser? A stroll in the backyard would have yielded a ton of casing.

I definitely would go and talk to the adult that owns the property and let him know the consequences of damaging a neighbor's property or life, when the bullet came from his property.

Last edited:
oh lordy, y'all are great for taking the time for even reading. i tried to make it short as i could yet thorough. Honestly i did feel endangered for my life and thought about shooting that way but there are more than just the kid down there and i dont want to shoot anybody. If a bullet had hit my house i would have collected it. its 200 yards away so it wasn't a light zing. it was like HOLY MOLY zing very close. i shoot a lot and have heard zings off rocks going away from me but never heard one coming towards me. Im hoping JR admits and just says it won't happen again. Sort of trying to take it easy tonight and collect opinions. Thanks so much for everyones time

Back
Top Bottom