• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bump / Slide fire systems on AR-15 and AR .22

Trader805

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
231   0
Reaction score
For those of you that have and use either of the set ups - .556/.223 and / or.22lr ( not looking for theoretical input, just those that have and or use them), just a couple questions:
1) Did you have any problems firing them in indoor ranges - anyone give you grief?
2) Is the 'learning curve' to get the hang of them pretty simple or not?
3) I have read that on the .22 M&P 15-22
AR, you need to changs to a 3.5 lb trigger. Aside from the normal installation of the stock and trigger area 'block of plastic', did any other modifications need to be made?
4) Having done it, is it worth the fuss... is it still fun?
5) Did the rifle you put it on need any kind of adjustment time to work properly?
6) And finally, if you shot it suppressed, did the recoil change have any effect on the ability to bump fire?

Inquiring minds want to hear from the experienced 'masters'!

Thanks!

For those of you that have and use either of the set ups - .556/.223 and / or.22lr ( not looking for theoretical input, just those that have and or use them), just a couple questions:
1) Did you have any problems firing them in indoor ranges - anyone give you grief?
2) Is the 'learning curve' to get the hang of them pretty simple or not?
3) I have read that on the .22 M&P 15-22
AR, you need to changs to a 3.5 lb trigger. Aside from the normal installation of the stock and trigger area 'block of plastic', did any other modifications need to be made?
4) Having done it, is it worth the fuss... is it still fun?
5) Did the rifle you put it on need any kind of adjustment time to work properly?
6) And finally, if you shot it suppressed, did the recoil change have any effect on the ability to bump fire?

Inquiring minds want to hear from the experienced 'masters'!

Thanks!
I have used it on a 22. It does require a lighter trigger and for mine the choice was Volquartzen. After installing this trigger group I found the fun wore off very quickly and the range people were not impressed. Most indoor ranges have no rapidfire rules. Personally I would put my money elsewhere.

On the 15-22 I had to swap in a lighter, single stage trigger to make it run. I also use graphite on the plastic 'buffer tube' and try to use hot ammo.

Even so, it's a challenge to dump a full mag... probably a good thing since I'm not sure how well that gun would stand up to it on a regular basis.

With a regular 223/5.56 AR it works as-advertised. Never had a problem getting them to cycle even with cheap/weal Tula steel-cased.

I never shot either way suppressed though.

At the time it was the only alternative to full-auto that was controllable. It's a fun way to waste ammo, but that's about it.

I did order the Franklin Armory 'binary' trigger and I'm going to compare that to the slide fire as soon as I get a chance.

I have one on a 5.45x39 AR with - Heavens to Mergatroid - NFA polymer lower. No trigger adjustments. Runs like a champ.

Stinks up a range pretty quickly with surplus ammo but there is the giggle factor. Make sure you are at a range without limits on how rapid you shoot.

I just bolted mine on and ran with it. No adjustments necessary to the trigger because the New Frontier Armory triggers are already pretty sweet.

No personal experience with .22's or suppressors. I have read you need to put a lighter trigger in for the .22's.

Good luck and get your redneck on!

I would just get a good short resetting real light trigger. It won't be as fast but it will be more controllable and a great trigger you won't want to take out later. From what I hear after a couple of 3 dollar mag dumps you realize just how much money you just went through in five minutes and take it off in favor of another mod not to long after you get it.

Just to be clear, the only time you may have to swap triggers is when using it with a 22.

Any centerfire cartridge should generate enough recoil to operate it without modification. Although I'd love to know if it works well with one of these 9mm ARs. I would think so....

Back
Top Bottom