Votes: 39 45.9%
  • bullets first

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Tacos

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mowlawn Labia!
n7.alamy.com_zooms_dc4d46d38bb84fc0a92cd3e57200817e_close_up_o0c4c727458ff9f7d7c400ad33aed7082.jpg

25 years ago, ATF reclassified certain big evil-looking black semi-automatic shotguns designed for military and police use as "destructive devices."
You know, like cannon or bazookas, because they were non-sporting weapons with a bore over 1/2" diameter.
What did ATF do to ENFORCE this ban?
Nothing. They issued a press release and trusted gun magazines and the NRA to get the word out to the owners of these guns.
ATF offered an amnesty period of FREE registration (no $200 tax) to legally register your new "destructive device."
The period was, I think, 90 days, but so few people complied that they extended it out to 120 days, if I remember correctly. This was back in the early 1990s.

I had owned one of these guns for years.
So what did I do?
I registered it.
And, since there is no minimum barrel length for destructive devices, I trimmed the barrel down to 12 inches also, after I got my Form 1 back with that new short measurement listed for the specs of the weapon.

BUT THOSE THAT DID NOT REGISTER their D.D. shotguns didn't get any calls, letters, or knocks on the door from ATF agents.

Apparently the feds are perfectly satisfied just making something illegal but taking no steps to enforce the ban.
They'll just wait for you to get caught with one and then they can decide if the local office of the ATF and the U.S. Attorney for your judicial district want to initiate a federal case over it.

I hope the bump stock ban will work the same way, if it even applies to the ones we already own now, legally.
Although the 1986 ban on newly-manufactured machineguns complicates things.
I think ATF has the authority to allow an amnesty period due to the law (or the federal regs) changing.

Back
Top Bottom