• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bush craft versus survival

While researching my new interest in preparedness and survival, it seems like I come across the fact that people consider Bush craft and survival different things. It seems to me that Bush craft is what you do to survive. So I don't understand why everything was Bush craft knife versus survival knife, Bush craft pack versus survival pack and so on and so on. Is there a difference and I'm just not getting it?
In my opinion there is very little if any difference. Primitive skills may be a catch all phrasing that encompasses both terms.
Example. If you learn flint napping you can make a knife in a "survival" situation (but its better to carry a good knife)

I think a lot of bushcraft skills are applicable to survival situations but some implements can just be replaced by carrying different gear. Flint and steel vs ferro rod vs bow drill kit. There are many ways to skin a cat primitive or modern.

bushcraft skills are the skills you employ in pure wilderness AFTER you have survived. Plenty of homes/shelters in which to pop a squat without expending calories building things. Spend those calories on more immediate needs.

Survival is simply keeping your ass alive long enough to be rescued or to find your way back to a secure environment like civilization or home. Bushcraft is the set of skills that allow you to live without that civilization at a more leisurely level and an indefinite time. If the **** hits the fan, Bushcraft will be MOST desirable but survival skills will be absolutely necessary. Look at it as a set of concentric cirlces. All survival skills are within the greater set of bushcraft skills but not all bushcraft skills are within the subset of survival skills. For example, you MUST be able to make fire to survive but you don't necessarily need to be able to fashion a bow drill set and make fire primitively. A lighter or waterproof matches will do you for a while in survival mode but bushcfraft techniques will allow you to make fires as long as you live.

Back when Dual Survival had Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin, this was fairly clearly illustrated as Dave was survival oriented but Cody was a Bushcraft guru.

Survival to me is doing whatever it takes with your skills & resources , to live through a life threatening situation.

Bushcraft is more like a way of life ,or a hobby people enjoy. It can encompass any number of skills on many levels .Combining hiking ,camping, cooking ,hunting ,fishing, trapping ,woodcraft ,tracking ,navigation ,etc .

I do believe they can overlap to some degree as well :)

Back
Top Bottom