• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bushing vs non bushing dies?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
120   0
Reaction score
Long time reloader but just getting into a bit more precision loading (at least for my definition of precision). Have a 6.5 CM rifle on order, probably will be a month or two before I actually see it so figured it's a good time to start looking at components.

I'm looking at Whidden dies (didn't realize they were in south GA, always nice to support a "local" company) for the 6.5. They make a standard and a bushing die set. I've read their website about what they do (adjusting neck tension) just not sure I really need the bushing dies.

I get a bit confused with the whole "turn the necks" vs neck bushings, etc. It seems that if I'm sticking with one rifle and one brand of brass and do consistent prep initially, I don't really need the bushing setup, or could adjust neck tension with a slightly different expander balls. Their standard dies include a shoulder bump gauge to help set up the die so that's good.

My plan is to use the same brass (more than likely Hornady, possibly Lapua) and more than likely bullets (Hornady ELDm mostly and maybe ELDX if I end up hunting with it). More than likely I won't build another 6.5 any time soon so would be a one round one rifle kinda setup.

I will have to work on my shooting skills first but my hope is to have a solid sub MOA (.5-.75?) rifle when I'm done with a couple of loads (140/147 ELDm and 143 ELDx). rifle is a PVA John Hancock/ARC Nucleus action.

Come out to the NRA Mid-Range matches at RiverBend and TMP, You will have a blast,
everyone is super nice and you can ask all the reloading questions.
RiverBend has several shooters that compete on the national level.
I make most of the matches so PM me when you want to come out and I'll squad with you.
The two main categories are
--F-Class, rifles with bi-pods/rear bags
--Match/Any Rifle should using a sling with no artificial support
NRA Rule Book: https://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf
Match Info: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/2019-nra-cmp-high-power-matches.1840736/

Should you decide to use a neck bushing, you can try REDDING NECK BUSHINGS , .289 a very snug neck tension, .290 is a little less restriction, and then there is the .291 a very light tension on the neck. These bushings sometimes can help with accuracy, and extend brass life. Then should you have some problems with getting your brass to completely go into the chamber and the bolt will either close freely or not completely close at all. Suggest the titanium coated bushings. GRAF & SONS, usually they have these on sale and have a better price on them.

Take a look at the REDDING COMPETITION shell holder, they are used to move the shoulder back in the following increments .002, .004, .006, .008, and lastly .010., on some of the 6.5 CD, we find the .006, and the .008 bushings have worked the best on getting the best fit, and life out of the brass, and accuracy.

We use the "GOLD METAL RCBS DIES", with the micro-seater adjustable die along with REDDING neck bushing.

After all of the above has been completed, we use the GIRAUD TOOL TRIMMING FULL SIZE UNIT.

Good luck in your reloading adventure quest, it is not a an inexpensive adventure but it is a great and satisfying passion when everything comes together...

RiverBend, is a great range and good shooters we used to belong there until we moved about 2-3 hours away always enjoyed it there.

These are all the simple suggestions you may want to consider...

Back
Top Bottom