• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

but, how do you know if it's stolen???

Indeed it does-- it happened to me. I could have had my stolen gun back 8 years earlier if Dekalb PD (or the pawnshop,but who are we kidding?) did their job. And pity the poor guy who got arrested for possession of it-- but fortunately could prove that he really did buy it from a pawn shop, with a background check.

Dekalb, of course, had zero interest in following up on who sold it to the pawn shop-- after all, all they did was break in a truck, steal three guns and a digital camera. (This was before I could have merely carried them into the restaurant legally, you understand.)

The pawn shop probably did their job, it's the police that don't seem to want to run the numbers. Which I don't blame them because they probably don't have the time to chase down every single stolen item. But I do blame whoever it is that thinks it's a good idea that only the police have access to the stolen goods database. That insane policy just makes it easier for thief's to move stuff.

They send in a report at the end of each week with the serial numbers to everything they bought that week, not just guns. That doesn't mean anyone at the police department runs all those numbers though, so stolen stuff slips through all the time.
So you really never know whether you're getting stolen merchandise or not.

Not really, The only way to be 100% is if you know for a fact it's been checked on the police database.
Even with that I would say it's not 100%. That is if it was never reported. So to the OPs question...even if you run the #s there's still a chance of the item being stolen. Gotta go with your gut here I think.

The pawn shop probably did their job, it's the police that don't seem to want to run the numbers. Which I don't blame them because they probably don't have the time to chase down every single stolen item. But I do blame whoever it is that thinks it's a good idea that only the police have access to the stolen goods database. That insane policy just makes it easier for thief's to move stuff.

That's what I was trying to get across-- I suspect the shop did their job-- if they don't, they go out of business or to jail. If the cops don't do THEIR job... nada. No consequences. So another car burglar/gun thief walks around free. And some poor guy in Augusta got arrested for possession of a stolen gun. And lost his money for buying it, though I gotta assume the pawn shop will give him a refund.

But yeah, just because you bought it at a pawn shop, doesn't mean it's not stolen, and that you won't lose it if ever checked again.

Back
Top Bottom