• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buy rifle from private citizen in NC

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Can I buy a used rifle directly from a private citizen in North Carolina?

If yes or no, where can I find this info in English, not legalese.

This is how these kinds of transactions work: Uncle Harry is coming in for a visit from another state and wants to stay with his favorite nephew, Johnny, for a while. Harry remembers that Johnny always admired his pearl-handled Colt revolver, and he decides to stow it in his suitcase and surprise Johnny with it. Just a little friendly exchange between relatives; nothing the matter with that, right?

Wrong. Harry is well within his rights to transfer ownership of the weapon to his nephew, but simply giving it directly to Johnny makes him a gun trafficker in the eyes of the law. To make it legal, Harry should follow the FFL-to-FFL procedure previously discussed.

Sound like a lot of hassle? Well, imagine this: Uncle Harry disregards gun transfer laws and gives the revolver directly to his nephew during the visit. Johnny later decides that he doesn't like his ex-wife’s new boyfriend very much and uses Uncle Harry’s old revolver to send the boyfriend to his eternal reward. The police, in the process of doing their job, discover how Johnny got possession of the weapon.

Now Uncle Harry gets a knock on his door from fellows wearing badges and carrying a warrant for his arrest. Harry loses his job, his home, his family, and five to 10 years of his freedom. That’s a lot more hassle than he would have dealt with had he worked through FFL dealers in both states.

Found this online A While back. Hope it helps

Can I buy a used rifle directly from a private citizen in North Carolina?

If yes or no, where can I find this info in English, not legalese.
tenor.gif

Yes you can, but you have to do the transfers through an FFL.

If it was a hand gun it would have to go through an FFL in the transferees state of residence.

Ok, cool. Time to find a decent priced ffl to do a transfer in NC.

To expand on the answer, with a long gun, the transaction can take place at a FFL in either NC or GA. Being as it is NC, the seller might could bring or send it to an FFL in GA who can complete the transaction. This being the case, there are many variables determining what is the most cost efficient. Don't know what your travel situation is, but remember you can send long guns through USPS reasonably.

As mentioned, short gun has to go through FFL in state of purchaser's residence.

Back
Top Bottom