• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a car with rust

Not to hijack the thread but we got a 95 Land Rover down here for fitteen hunnerd with NO rust. Just sayin...:cool:
giphy (8).gif

To be perfectly honest with y'all I'd take a Land Cruiser over a Land Rover all day long every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But we have a Discovery just sitting and going to waste. It's the 3.9 aluminum V8 that Rover sourced from GM WAY back when. But the engines were never the problem with Rovers and Jags. It's the damn Lucas wiring.

How concerned should a person by about buying a car with rust underneath, specifically a Land Cruiser?

I've been giving serious thought to buying a 100 series Land Cruiser. I've been wanting to do some overlanding for a while and always thought I would get a Tacoma to fulfill this role as well as serve double duty as a mulch hauler. And then I saw a high mileage Land Cruiser for sale and starting wondering why was it listed for so much money with a quarter million miles on the clock. LOL! I had no idea. To the point of this post though trying to find just the right one is hard and since I'm looking some old examples I'm finding some with rust on the underbody. Is it a big deal? Does it depends on if its just surface rust?
Someone said because the Land Cruisers are nearly bulletproof rust is the one thing that should be avoided.
I had a 76 FJ 40 when I used to live on long Island I would go surf casting at Robert Moses State park.That thing was so rotted that when I went over the railroad tracks the body would bounce off the frame.I can't tell you how many new chevy's an ford's were stuck in the sand.Not that FJ it just keep going.I drove into the ocean where water covered the floors ...an it laughed at it.I was amazed how tuff that thing was.

How concerned should a person by about buying a car with rust underneath, specifically a Land Cruiser?

I've been giving serious thought to buying a 100 series Land Cruiser. I've been wanting to do some overlanding for a while and always thought I would get a Tacoma to fulfill this role as well as serve double duty as a mulch hauler. And then I saw a high mileage Land Cruiser for sale and starting wondering why was it listed for so much money with a quarter million miles on the clock. LOL! I had no idea. To the point of this post though trying to find just the right one is hard and since I'm looking some old examples I'm finding some with rust on the underbody. Is it a big deal? Does it depends on if its just surface rust?
Someone said because the Land Cruisers are nearly bulletproof rust is the one thing that should be avoided.

It really depends on where the rust is. Floor pans not great problem as several have mentioned, but I had a 67 Thunderbird I bought in about 1975 and the frame had a lot of rust. I started to jack up a rear wheel and put a jack under frame in front of the wheel and it mashed the frame - had to let that one go! I guess you would have to go around and knocking on the frame with a hammer and see how solid it sounded.

Back
Top Bottom