• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a gun without a serial number

Most people use the serial number to date it :doh:
They were manufactured between the mid 20's to 1986

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Besides the serial number. A series number or the smith that did the work maybe? Even SW revolvers and 1911's went through some slight cosmetic changes throughout the century.

The "Gun Control Act of 1968" required that manufacturers serialize their firearms. Before that many did already but there was no legal requirement. It is perfectly legal to buy, sell own a gun that was never serialized but it is not legal to even posses one that has the serial number altered.

The "Gun Control Act of 1968" required that manufacturers serialize their firearms. Before that many did already but there was no legal requirement. It is perfectly legal to buy, sell own a gun that was never serialized but it is not legal to even posses one that has the serial number altered.
But as an FFL what would happen if you unknowingly sold a firearm that has the serial number removed?

But as an FFL what would happen if you unknowingly sold a firearm that has the serial number removed?

Unknowingly? I have no idea. I think quite often intent is the key factor. If you intentionally did it you would be screwed. If it was unknowingly, probably get a slap on the wrist. It really has a lot to do with the investigating agent. Better hope he got laid the night before, or even better that morning.

It's illegal to possess/sell an item with an altered serial number. They would call the police, turn the weapon over to them, and you would have some 'splaining to do.
Unknowingly? I have no idea. I think quite often intent is the key factor. If you intentionally did it you would be screwed. If it was unknowingly, probably get a slap on the wrist. It really has a lot to do with the investigating agent. Better hope he got laid the night before, or even better that morning.

"Unknowingly" is not in most LEO's vocabulary.

This is the result of the highly popular "some dude" defense.

Back
Top Bottom