• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a reloader need help

One L

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
33   0
Reaction score
If one were going to buy a nice reloading kit would the rock chucker supreme master reloading kit be a good one to buy and what else would be necessary equipment wise before I could begin.
Screenshot_20170304-114155.png

Thats a nice one but you may want to look at the Lee Classic Turrett press. You can run it as a single stage till you get the hang of things then once you afe comfortable you can turn on the rotation feature and have a semi-progressive press. Cause trust me, you are gonna step up from a single stage pretty quick. Especially if you are gonna be loading handgun ammo and anything other than precision rifle loads.

Looks like a nice kit to get started. Find someone near you to help with setting up dies & walk you thru a few rounds. You'll also need a case trimmer, tumbler, & calipers. Don't forget to get shell holders when ordering dies if not included.

I strongly suggest a set of calibration weights if your scales don't come with one ( I have the Rock Chucker Supreme kit and they do not) you can do something with currencies, it is not accurate enough for my taste, however better that not calibrating (The average dime weighs 2.268 grams. Converting grams to grains. 2.268 grams =35.0005 grains.) - I use the 505 that came with the kit for accuracy and a cheap digital from Franklin Arsenal for speed in getting the powder thrower set and weighing things where the weight is not known before hand. Yes I did learn this the hard way when I 1st started and trust me it takes all the joy away for a while. I really like the quality construction of the RCBS equipment and will eventually move to a Dillon 650 for pistol rounds. Not to sell the Lee presses short, they get the job done and are very cost effective. I do however have a strong preference for the RCBS powder throwers over the Lee as my experience is the RCBS is more consistent and there are some really useful upgrades that you can get down the road that enhance it nicely. You wold really be surprised at what an hour or 2 every other day will produce. I do high volume loading with my single stage press in 9mm, 38spec, 45ACP, 223/556 calibers in lots of 1000 rounds. I think a solid background in loading with a single stage press is a good thing in terms of a lifetime hobby. When you do move to a progressive press the single stage press you started with will always have a place on your bench. I would start with the lower pressure rounds in pistol; 38spec and 45ACP are ideal rounds as you will learn the crimps that will carry on into some of your rifle loads. The single best piece of advise given is: DON'T BE IN A HURRY - you have the rest of your life to enjoy this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom