• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a Suppressor but not 21

bls555

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
So I’m trying to buy a suppressor for my savage arms a22 .I want my plinker to be quiet enough not to piss off neighbors at a friends property I have access too. Now, here is the tricky part I’m 19. As you all should know it is a class 3/nfa item and you need to be 21 to purchase that from your licensed dealer, but I read that you can fill out an atf form 4 to buy one from an individual at age 18. The fine print also read that it may vary by state law so that’s what I’m here to ask

1635250172261.jpg

If you and the private party seller are both Georgia residents, why don't you fill out a form 4 for the transfer and submit it to ATF with a check?

If they accept and process it , you're good to go. If they say "no" they'll refund your money. No laws would be broken because the seller would retain possession of the suppressor until your Form 4 is fully approved and you show him your new stamp. So the risk is just your time and trouble to fill out the forms and then wait around for some weeks or months.

If ATF denies the transfer, you know you're going to have to wait years until you're 21 anyway, so it's not exactly 'wasted" time.

Another option:

Shoot only subsonic or "CCI Quiet"ammo through your rifle. That's going to be pretty quiet coming out of a rifle length barrel.

If necessary for reliable function, buy another recoil spring and guide and cut a couple coils off of it, so that the bolt will go through its full range of motion with the lower recoil impulse of the weaker ammo.

This May be a satisfactory solution and cheaper than getting a suppressor.

P.S. If you shot super sonic / high velocity 22 Long Rifle ammo from the rifle with a suppressor in place, you would still get a supersonic crack that is probably louder to your neighbors' ears than shooting subsonic ammo without any suppressor.

84982FC6-57A9-4044-95DE-71F935C4941E.jpeg

I've owned my 22 suppressor for almost 20 years, and I've decided that it is definitely worth it when used on handguns...

... but from a .22 rifle, there's not much advantage using the suppressor over just shooting lower powered ammo (in an outdoor setting where the nearest neighbors are 100 yards away.)

Subsonic in a barrel that length will produce the same sound as a suppressor. .22s actually lose velocity in that length barrel.

Common subsonics have heavier bullets to aid in the operation of semi-autos.

Aquila subs are very usable in an urban environment, or so I've been told.

Back
Top Bottom