• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying an older truck?

AR-Trvlr

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
167   0
Reaction score
I’m considering buying an older full-sized truck - what are my best options?

I’d like something full-sized so I can take my 2 boys with me places or to drop them off at school, but not the size of a larger cab. A manual transmission because I miss having one. 4wd for a bit of fun or winter use. Short bed would be ideal, but an 8’ bed would be fine. Step side would be awesome, but those are pretty rare. Antique plates would be nice so I don’t have to worry about emissions, but not so old to worry about reliability. Not pristine, but not a beater. Not a daily driver, but for runs for lumber or mulch. Budget of $5k or so. No huge hurry.

My initial target has been a ford between 1980 and 1996 since I like the square body style, but I’m not seeing much on the market. I’m mostly watching craigslist and Facebook - autotrader and cars.com don’t have much at all.

Where else should I look? Other things I should look for? Anyone have any leads on something?

I’m considering buying an older full-sized truck - what are my best options?

I’d like something full-sized so I can take my 2 boys with me places or to drop them off at school, but not the size of a larger cab. A manual transmission because I miss having one. 4wd for a bit of fun or winter use. Short bed would be ideal, but an 8’ bed would be fine. Step side would be awesome, but those are pretty rare. Antique plates would be nice so I don’t have to worry about emissions, but not so old to worry about reliability. Not pristine, but not a beater. Not a daily driver, but for runs for lumber or mulch. Budget of $5k or so. No huge hurry.

My initial target has been a ford between 1980 and 1996 since I like the square body style, but I’m not seeing much on the market. I’m mostly watching craigslist and Facebook - autotrader and cars.com don’t have much at all.

Where else should I look? Other things I should look for? Anyone have any leads on something?

88-98 GM pickups are hard to beat. The TBI motors are not going to win any drag races but they keep going and going and are real easy to work on. Hard to beat a fuel injected 4 speed V8 pickup for the money. Check autotrader and craigslist.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...de1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEV150&clickType=listing

Are you extremely mechanically inclined? Can you handle most minor to mid level repairs on your own?

Extremely? No, but competent. I rebuilt the motor on my samurai, and carburetors on my motorcycles. My biggest challenge is time - I don’t have much to be turning a wrench all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

88-98 GM pickups are hard to beat. The TBI motors are not going to win any drag races but they keep going and going and are real easy to work on. Hard to beat a fuel injected 4 speed V8 pickup for the money. Check autotrader and craigslist.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...de1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEV150&clickType=listing

My biggest problem with GM trucks is their interiors - they’re crude. Mechanically they’re great. I was actually looking at an ‘89 1500 that was in great shape, but had a 4.3. Solid motors, but I’m afraid it would be too gutless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if you can re-build a motor then you qualify. Have a 454SS w/ a 5 speed manual trans that we installed, for @ 6 years now. One thing I have to say is owning one of these you need to be quite the diagnostic technician for electrical and fuel!

36286.jpg
this for sale

Back
Top Bottom