• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying an older truck?

If you plumb a fuel system correctly it won't leak. If a carb is leaking it needs to be rebuilt. Most guys buy one second hand. There is more to it than a couple of adjustments. There are correct power valves, correct diaphragm for vacuum secondaries and jets. Quadrajets have a removable top so that corrects most mistakes made by back yard mechanics. I have owned many holleys and mine never leaked at all. They were factory in the early eighties on the Ford 302 Mustang motors. I had one of them and it didn't leak a drop until the day I sold it. Cars burning to the ground is usually operator error and not a correctly assembled carb. I won't hear anymore about that.

And, yet, used quadrajets arenot leakers.

Holly is aftermarket junk high school kids put on their mom's car for the cool factor.

Oem hollys are not the same as parts store junk.

Again cool trucks, but too far/old on the first one and and not a manual on the second one.

What kind of year range you looking for ?

I see a few when I’m out traveling for work

We wanted a manual trans , 4wd Stepside also
And found one finally

Passed up several pretty nice ones that were automatic

We wound up swapping the transmission anyway

The 4 speed manual that comes in the pre 88 trucks sucks for daily driving

We swapped it for a five speed from a later model , a 2007.

Mostly a bolt in swap
If I had known how easy it was to swap
I would have bought an automatic and swapped it to a manual later

And, yet, used quadrajets arenot leakers.

Holly is aftermarket junk high school kids put on their mom's car for the cool factor.

Oem hollys are not the same as parts store junk.
If you take a holley's float bowl and metering plate of when the gaskets are fresh and tune it before the gaskets get saturated and bonded to the metal then it won't leak. If you try to take one apart without scraping the surfaces and replacing the gasket it will leak. I am sorry to tell you but it wont. whoever made the comment that those holleys only have a couple of adj. is total bullcrap. Yeah they have a idle adj. and have a idle adj. to lean or rich the gas is a few adjustments. However most fools don't use a vacuum gauge and a Air Fuel meter to tune the carb. There is no other way. Depending on the camshafts torque curve and rear end you also have to change power valves, jets and vacuum diaphragm for the carburetor to react correctly. If you are using a carb with mechanical secondaries aka. double pumper then the accelerator pump on that needs to be correctly selected. Most of the tuning on a carb is done when the car is moving and the front jets and power valve changed for normal driving conditions and the rear ventures tuned via jets and accelerator pump if they are mechanical secondaries. If all this is done while the gaskets are still fresh then there wont' be a problem until a long way down the road when a carb needs rebuilt anyway. It's when those changes are made when the gaskets get sticky is when the fuel leaks happens. Qualified mechanics know this and change out the gaskets. It's time consuming and then you have to find the right gasket which can be tricky and that's why corners are cut. When a carb is tuned right and not touched after that then there will be no problems. I am sorry but yes they are the same. If Holley's were that bad they wouldn't be single most popular carbs on the drag strip to this day. If you are leaking gas or alcohol then Dominators would be blowing drag cars up on a daily basis according to you.

OEM carbs don't leak because all those factors are done at the factory and you don't to take the carb down and replace parts. It's when soneone buys a Holley off someone and it's not tuned for thier application and shade tree mechanics break into them and resort to silicon and call it a day. FACT! I highly suggest the people that take your side on this issue just simply don't fool with a Holley carb.

EAC58632-9D72-4B19-962F-2E80DA32C88E.jpeg

Good deals are out there if you are patient. Picked this 1993 GMC up for $3200 bucks. Had to do some small stuff like tires and brakes and shocks but it drives perfect.
14mpg
Zero rust
A/C and Heat work
Interior looks almost new.
Power windows work.

Holleys are popular because they are cheap, and every parts store had one on the shelf, along with a bucket of adapters so it would 'fit' anything on the road. Plus, they always had splashy ads in Hotrod magazine.

They are the 'Highpoints' of the parts world.

True quality is never cheap

like you said 16 year olds buy them. Put one on my first car at 18 on a small block in a 67 Plymouth Belvedere. After I tuned it for the modifications I made I put it back together and it lasted until I was 21 and never leaked on drop of fuel. Never smell gas fumes never had puddles of gas on the intake. Like I said it all who is working with them. https://images.holley.com/0-4776c.jpg This a Holley 600 double pumper which is the only way I would have is over 500 bucks. Not exactly cheap as carbs go. Not only would this carburetor last a very long time after set up right it would provide the most power the engine could give with it's existing parts. Now if you think for one minute this a junk carb you have a hole in your head.

Back
Top Bottom