• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in another state?

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
144   0
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone point me to some official law/statute/regulations that are in plain English concerning the private sale of long guns between individuals who reside in neighboring states?
Hypothetically, guy #1 (Georgia resident) wanted to purchase a duck gun from guy #2 (Florida resident). Guy #1 travels to Florida. Can the shotgun be purchased in a private party transaction? Or do the 2 parties need to go by the LGS and have it transferred through FFl?

My Google fu has been weak on this one, and I figured someone around here may have a link to some alphabet agency that has the correct answer.
Thanks.

This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone point me to some official law/statute/regulations that are in plain English concerning the private sale of long guns between individuals who reside in neighboring states?
Hypothetically, guy #1 (Georgia resident) wanted to purchase a duck gun from guy #2 (Florida resident). Guy #1 travels to Florida. Can the shotgun be purchased in a private party transaction? Or do the 2 parties need to go by the LGS and have it transferred through FFl?

My Google fu has been weak on this one, and I figured someone around here may have a link to some alphabet agency that has the correct answer.
Thanks.

the 2 parties need to go by the LGS and have it transferred through FFl

All this stuff gets pretty muddy. Last time I actually looked this up for a private party sale being a Georgia resident. The Georgia law actually requires you to use a ga ffl to do the transfer purchase out of state long guns. So technically you couldn’t meet the guy at a Florida ffl and do it. He would have to meet you at a ga ffl since you’re a ga resident. This was also so I could walk away with the rifle. From my understanding if you used an out of state ffl they would have to ship it and not be able turn it over directly to you. This may have changed since the last time I had to deal with this. And... individual state laws can change and vary. I actually dealt with this a few years ago buying a rifle from an Alabama resident. This is one reason is tend to avoid this unless the person is just willing to ship it to my ffl from the get go.

No, if it is a long gun and the FFL will accept from an individual they you could ship it to the FFL in the buyers state. I get packages from individuals from out of state pretty regularly. Basically it doesn't have to go from an FFL just to one on the receiving end. Same is true of handguns but they have to go through a private carrier and most of them require handguns to be shipped next day air and it is kind of pricey.

Never heard that. I've bought a ton of rifles in other states from FFLs in those states. Where does this Georgia FFL requirement come from?
All this stuff gets pretty muddy. Last time I actually looked this up for a private party sale being a Georgia resident. The Georgia law actually requires you to use a ga ffl to do the transfer purchase out of state long guns. So technically you couldn’t meet the guy at a Florida ffl and do it. He would have to meet you at a ga ffl since you’re a ga resident. This may have changed since the last time I had to deal with this. And... individual state laws can change and vary. I actually dealt with this a few years ago buying a rifle from an Alabama resident.

Never heard that. I've bought a ton of rifles in other states from FFLs in those states. Where does this Georgia FFL requirement come from?

that’s what I originally thought too. Like I said this has been probably 10 years ago last time I dealt with that. By the way I had to edit my original post because I forgot to mention that this was so I could walk out with the rifle in hand because a few different alabama ffls were telling me they could do the the ffl transfer but then they would have to ship it to another ga ffl anyways.

that’s what I originally thought too. Like I said this has been probably 10 years ago last time I dealt with that. By the way I had to edit my original post because I forgot to mention that this was so I could walk out with the rifle in hand because a few different alabama ffls were telling me they could do the the ffl transfer but then they would have to ship it to another ga ffl anyways.
They were wrong about that. Only handguns.

I’ve also bout several long guns in person from out of state ffls. But that was all from them not a private party. Maybe that’s where there’s a difference depending on the states and what not. I’ve also bought a rifle from a gun store in a particular state and they were required to hold it for 3 days for out of state residents.

Back
Top Bottom