• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying Land for Homesite?

SouthernSlammed

Default rank 5000+ posts
Gingerbeard Operator
92   0
Reaction score
So, I'm really getting the itch to buy some land to build a house and have my own shop on. In the process of looking I have been thinking and wonder if anyone can shed some advice! This will be out in the country!

1. Before purchasing should I look at having a perc test done, or should the owner be responsible for having some record of that when selling? I am looking at having the shop some distance from the home, do both areas where I will be building need to be tested. Is part of that perc test verifying if there is a good well spot there too? Will this matter if there is neighboring houses or not, or would you just assume perc is good if there is?

2. If establishing a gun range, do you just go to the county sheriffs to find out laws and limitations?

3. Have you attempted being your own general contractor? I have some good knowledge of when it comes to some building carpentry/plumbing/electrical.

What are some other potential things I may need to look into before purchasing said land, other than elevation... I have learned a great deal about drainage with my current home.

Perc test for wherever you are putting a septic system. The landowner doesn't need to supply one so if they don't have one, it's up to you to schedule and pay. Do not grade before a perc test has been completed.
County will want to see a site location for house and septic placement on paper and a visual inspection. Look for unrestricted property and talk to neighboring land owners because they can suck even if you have a lot of space.....

I have a gun range on my property. I'm a good distance from neighboring property so there was no need to contact anyone.

Well must be 100' from any septic including drain lines. Drain lines must be set back from hillside at least 15' if there is one.

Last edited:
I bought my "homestead" several years ago.

Something's to research:

Well depth. Call a local driller they will know how deep the water table will be in that area.
Any future or pending government building or construction plans. Things like roadway widening, resoviours, or new infrastructure are planned normally years in advance so you can find out fairly easily.

Utilities and power access and costs. running lines and connecting to sewer if required can get expensive quick.

Drive around the area you are thinking about. Rural areas are nice, but if there are low life's down the street or loud trucks, or heavy equipment operating close by, you will hear or see things at different times.
If possible ask to be able to spend 24 hours on the land prior to closing. Spending a full day/night out there will let you know if things are around that might annoy you later.

Make sure you give yourself a buffer from the road. My rural road has car accidents from the windy roads. Several times I have pulled out onto the road and have found cars in the ditch where they over corrected on the turn. One time it was a drunk plowing into the ditch and trees. Fortunately I'm far enough back that I don't even hear them.

And yes research the perk of the land to verify you can build or expand as needed.

Or just hide back in the woods and fence off the roads and do what you want to..... That is always an option. ;-)

When buying land "unrestricted" can be a double edged sword. Remember if your land is unrestricted, your neighbor's might also be. In that case you want enough land to possibly insulate yourself from what they may be doing on their land. I live on unrestricted land, and love the idea of it. However, I have to deal with my neighbors junk pile that he has accumulated over the years. Thank God, I don't have to drive past it unless I come in that way. The 20 acres we have helps insulate us from them.
Generally an owner will not do a Perc test unless they were going to build. It is also common here in GA to buy and sell land with out a recent survey. Wells up here need to be fairly deep to get the good water, or another option is a spring. We are blessed with a few springs on our land that we've used to supply our old cabin at one time. Keep in mind set backs for water ways, regardless of size. Clearing land can get pricey up here, as we tend to be a bit hilly.
Check out the neighbors before buying any piece of land, know what you are getting into. Get any conditional things in writing, like spending the night before closing. Usually you will be given a "contingency" period to do such things. Good luck, and if you are looking in Fannin or Gilmer counties, give me a shout I will help you find something.

Perc test will be your responsibility, pretty everything will fall into place after that. I set a range on my property, had over 40 ODT guys out at once tearing the place up, not one complaint from a single neighbor

Last edited:
thanks so far, gentlemen! Good info so far! I am really looking forward to the idea of not having anyone within 50ft of my house and being able to just shoot off my back porch to relieve the days stress!!

thanks so far, gentlemen! Good info so far! I am really looking forward to the idea of not having anyone within 50ft of my house and being able to just shoot off my back porch to relieve the days stress!!

yup! my goal is to be able to pee off the front porch and shoot off the back one.....i guess i could now, but the neighbors would most likely disapprove......:thumb:

Dabnabit!

I almost purchased a 22 acre lot that had the existing septic/well/electricity already pulled (trailer fire).... Just east of Hogansville.

Can't believe I passed it up!

Land is everywhere and always for sale. Keep that in mind. I've seen acre's go anywhere from 1,500 to 35,000K per...

Back
Top Bottom