• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying Land

You already asked where I lived via PMs and I know where you live. Remember I told you that we are good friends with Smitty and Linda?

I had forgotten: the potential of additional ODT’ers in the CC is nice.

Thank You for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Psh get out of the metro area and find something a few miles from the highway up north. We bought a few years ago, nice house w/ almost 10ac listed over $400k, under contract around $320k, paid MUCH less after appraisal came in at nearly tax value lol. It's a rare circumstance but out in the boonies, with a slow real estate market, we made out well.

Yeah, I keep up with the market in NGA as I do a lot of biz up there. You can find good deals but they are getting fewer and fewer. Land prices alone are pushing up the price. I hear ya with the outrageous asking prices getting brought down to reality. Happens on almost every deal. Most of my NGA clients start out wanting boonies and then the wife says "how far to the grocery store?" or some similar thing and then what they are looking for changes a bit. Unless it's a second home most of my clients really dislike being too isolated. I've had clients that liked it as a retirement place but then a couple years later they need to sell because they need to be closer to medical amenities. If I could talk my wife into it I'd have the 10 acres next to you and we would barely even know the other was there :)

Yeah, I keep up with the market in NGA as I do a lot of biz up there. You can find good deals but they are getting fewer and fewer. Land prices alone are pushing up the price. I hear ya with the outrageous asking prices getting brought down to reality. Happens on almost every deal. Most of my NGA clients start out wanting boonies and then the wife says "how far to the grocery store?" or some similar thing and then what they are looking for changes a bit. Unless it's a second home most of my clients really dislike being too isolated. I've had clients that liked it as a retirement place but then a couple years later they need to sell because they need to be closer to medical amenities. If I could talk my wife into it I'd have the 10 acres next to you and we would barely even know the other was there :)

We've been looking at Hiawassee lately. The prices in the region seem the most reasonable for my budget. We are only looking at a 1-2 acre lot with sub 1,400 sq ft home and a large detached garage/shop. The number 1 ticker for the wife is what school system my 4 year old will land in next year.

I was referring to the area between hwys 41 & 61 back down to Douglas county: that triangle boomed with expansion before the “Crunch.”

There are probably 4-5 times more homes there today than were in 2001.

That area will continue to Boom.

A ride up Dallas Acworth Highway will confirm, as previously stated.

When on Hwy 92 at the Dallas Acworth intersection, go straight next time rather than turning onto Dallas Acworth hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am talking about 41 North into Cartersville. I don't ever venture in Dallas, Douglasville, etc... CliffB asked about Cartersville, so that's what I gave him details on.

The road widening project that seems to never be ending, the new Kroger and all of the surrounding businesses. There is certainly growth happening in Cartersville that is why it is appealing because all of the places that currently interest myself and my wife are moving into the area or being remodeled into nicer newer buildings. It's a blessing and a curse.

Kroger just rebuilt in a better spot. Other than that particular spot, the rest has been there. Main street is where any new retail or dining will be for sure. I just wished we'd get some fine dining like the Golden Corral, lol!

If you need to be close to 75, definitely check out the area east of the I-75/Hwy 20 junction. There are some subdivisions out here that are literally 5 minutes away from the interstate, and you're not far from Cherokee Gun and Pawn either! I don't know your price range, but I will say that a house in the city will cost significantly more than the same house in the county, although I suspect that's probably the same anywhere else.

My wife wants a bigger house (kids are getting bigger), one that is closer to their schools as well as her work. The houses in "town" are bringing some serious money right now, on average around $50k more than a similar house in the county, at least in the price range we are looking at. But still, there are plenty of options out there for housing in Bartow County.

You mentioned being concerned with schools, the city schools score better than the county. We put our girls in 3 years ago although we are out of district. That is something to consider as well.

There is only 3 elementary schools in Hiawassee I believe. 1 is 6/10 and the other 2 are unrated. I always tell people school ratings can be misleading though. In some school districts you have a portion of the student body pulling down what would be great scores from the other students. It can be the best rated school around and it still comes down to the individual teacher you get for that year and amount of parent involvement. I say all that so you have something to tell your wife if she doesnt like her school choices:).

We've been looking at Hiawassee lately. The prices in the region seem the most reasonable for my budget. We are only looking at a 1-2 acre lot with sub 1,400 sq ft home and a large detached garage/shop. The number 1 ticker for the wife is what school system my 4 year old will land in next year.

30 min to Gainesville and 15 min to Commerce :)

Ladt year a house about 10 miles north-east of Cartersville bordering on hundreds of acres of WMA land sold for only $150,000.
This is a house with 5 acres of property itself, plus bordering the WMA.

It was an older home, 1950's brick ranch, with a long gravel driveway and no real yard to speak of.
It was just a house built deep in the woods .

Back
Top Bottom