• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying private land to shoot on?

Training is good; but I also would like to be able to practice at my leisure without paying a fee every single time.
Totally agree man, I do my sighting in at Wilson Shoals but all my other shooting is in my backyard range. It's such a good feeling to step outside and put lead on steel.

Thank you. I'm going to switch my searching from North to South. This is why I'm looking to buy land now because of that trend but so far I've been getting defeatist responses from people who are attempting to make it seem like buying your own land to shoot for pleasure on is some far fetched proposition which saddens me to read.

Yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't come up more. You can find inexpensive land in south Georgia. Rural counties won't have many if any restrictions. Plenty of hogs for target practice also.

Thank you. I'm going to switch my searching from North to South. This is why I'm looking to buy land now because of that trend but so far I've been getting defeatist responses from people who are attempting to make it seem like buying your own land to shoot for pleasure on is some far fetched proposition which saddens me to read.

I should have added some qualifiers in my post such as price drops after about 2008 are based on prices in north Ga. While land tends to be cheaper south of Atlanta, if you are also considering a purchase as an investment, then land in north Ga tends to appreciate in value at a higher rate than that south of Atlanta. I should also clarify north GA, as my post more specifically applies to north central and north east Ga. North west Ga I don't believe has appreciated as much as central and east north GA.

OP what are you thinking that you might pay for land?

I’m not selling - just curious.

Look at Weyerhaeuser properties , may be cut but could have been re -planted.

Road frontage affects $$$ as does water (creek or river).

Just a couple of other things to consider with land.

1. Taxes. This is an expense I haven't seen mentioned here. You will pay property taxes.
2. Trespassers. They come out of the wood work from every where, and the local LE are not too concerned with them. People with horses are the worst.
3. Friends. You will find friends that you never knew who want to shoot/hunt on your property. Worse they will invite their friends to shoot/hunt on your property. They will destroy target stands, clay throwers, atvs, tractors, gates and everything else. When you go to use your stuff, it will be destroyed. All tractor and atv fuel tanks will be empty. Nobody can use a grease gun. I have had "friends" who have shot spikes (yes plural) while standing over buttons that they have just killed.
3a. Friends will have overdue library books to return and funerals to attend if you ask for any sort of help for any task or maintenance.
5. Anything of value will be stolen. See point 2 above about LE.

I could go on and on. You are better served joining a shooting club. I speak from experience.

I can help you find and locate such land you want in the budget you require but I don’t work for free and would require a buyers brokerage engagement agreement...

I bought land in cartersville and we shoot on it all the time .. multiple times per week

cheers

Back
Top Bottom