• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying/selling advice re: money orders

USPS money order only .

Ship item after you have cash in hand .

I have NEVER had the post office tell me they couldn't cash their money order .

But I also don't live in a congested area either :)

I've done several trades on GunBroker and the standard currency are USPS money orders. Only a few traders accept credit cards without an extra 3% fee attached.

USPS money order is easiest. Once you get it you can go and cash it instantly. Jsut sent one myself off last week for my latest gunbroker purchase

USPS Only! I've been using them ever since joining here 7 years ago, never one single complaint. Bought my last holster on here last month with one.

Honestly, I've taken personal checks from folks here, and I certainly have no problem with any kind of money order so long as it's cleared my account. But that's only on ODT.

I know the folks on Gunbroker like USPS and I had one guy call me up screaming when I sent him a bank check from my Credit Union instead of his cherished USPS (he just said 'money order' in the ad).

I've only sold something once on CL, and for that I specified cash only.

Okay fellow OTDers... I've never been involved in a transaction with money orders. If you were selling something and someone offered to pay with one, what's the best way to go about doing it? What kind of M.O. (USPS, etc.)? I'm planning on waiting for whatever money to clear before I ship, so I don't even know the process as far as how a money order gets paid out. I don't bank locally, so that may be a issue as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Hope all had a safe 4th!

I accepted US Postal Money Order recently. Made the mistake of carrying it with me to post office as this was only source for the purchaser's mailing address. I placed on PO counter while preparing the package for mailing and it was lost/stolen. Major inconvenience to purchaser as he had to report it lost. That was back on May 22. Post Office will not reissue till July 22 and the charge was $7 or so. Will use Pay Pal only going forward. Alternatively, make sure purchaser sends an address and immediately cash the money order.

Yeah, USPS-- they send you a phony one, not only is it fraud, but mail fraud. And that does get prosecuted.

But even with Western Union or whatever-- just deposit it, and ask a cashier how long it takes to be SURE it is good. May be 30 days. If they were too lazy to get a certified check from the bank, let 'em wait. (And check very carefully that any "certified check" is legit. Call the issuing bank and verify it.)

I like cash myself! But I know gunbroker is very fond of POstal money orders. How else can you get payed for something sent to Juneau Alaska?

Back
Top Bottom