• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying/selling advice re: money orders

Big transactions I do direct to checking account transfers. They've been safe so far, up to $32,000 for a set of flatware a few years ago. Anything under $5,000 I'd rather have postal money orders, (up to $1,000 each) and if you live near what is usually called a 'finance station' they can cash them.

Postal Money order is the only one I would accept. Post Office will cash it for you.
Yeah I prefer the Postal MO as well. As a courtesy and security type of thing when I buy on here with a MO I take a pic of the filled out MO and text it to the seller. Then I send a pic of it and the addressed envelope before dropping it in the mail. And then I send the tracking number. I have had other members do the same when I sell to them. So far it has worked out very well.

I accepted US Postal Money Order recently. Made the mistake of carrying it with me to post office as this was only source for the purchaser's mailing address. I placed on PO counter while preparing the package for mailing and it was lost/stolen. Major inconvenience to purchaser as he had to report it lost. That was back on May 22. Post Office will not reissue till July 22 and the charge was $7 or so. Will use Pay Pal only going forward. Alternatively, make sure purchaser sends an address and immediately cash the money order.

PayPal prohibitions: https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/guns-drugs-and-timeshares-14-things-paypal-wont-let-you-buy/

Big transactions I do direct to checking account transfers. They've been safe so far, up to $32,000 for a set of flatware a few years ago. Anything under $5,000 I'd rather have postal money orders, (up to $1,000 each) and if you live near what is usually called a 'finance station' they can cash them.

That must of been some serious flatware.

Back
Top Bottom