• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C&R renewal

Poppa Mike

Default rank 5000+ posts
4H rifle team coach
40   0
Reaction score
Mailed my renewal application off today. I haven't used my C&R ffl in a little over 3 years but still keeping it current. Don't seem to be near as many deals on C&R stuff as there used to. Any recommendations on dealers (on line or mail order)? I used to get sale flyers from sog, cdnn, j&g sales, etc.

I thought about getting a C&R license at one point but then all the stuff kinda dried up so I never pursued it.

Real slim pickin's and all the regular sources.

Agreed. I have mine, never used it. Everything went away. Seems to be a certain dealer (Classic) getting small shipments of stuff and jacking the prices and over inflating the market. Id kill for $75 mosins, $400 RC K98s and cheap K31s again. Miss my K31!

I also read a while back talking about surplus ammo imports, these guys are bidding on weapons and ammo against these foreign groups that want weapons with all the **** going on and they can't touch them and be profitable.

When I first got my license, mosins were going for $59, bought a yugo reworked german K98 for $80, M1 garand for $300, M1 carbine for $300, a unissued Enfield no.4 for $125, no.5 jungle carbine for $175. Seems those days are gone. Sadly, I had to sell most of my collection in 03/04 to help cover medical expenses after having a couple of heart attacks.

I myself thought about applying for a C&R but like previously stated, there isn't much available that somebody hasn't already snatched up and trying to flip. Ive had decent luck at several local pawn shops and the small private dealers at gunshows. Ill buy up this newer stuff (modern handguns/rifles etc.) on sale or at a good deal and take it to these places to trade and generally do pretty good on some harder to find milsurps. I might not win on every deal but the thrill of the hunt and the occasional Jem is what keeps me going back. Nobody is making these old warhorses anymore and never will again, so why not trade some modern readily available pieces for a piece of history that will soon be on the endangered list!

I've had one for over 20 years, I used to use it a lot. What killed it for me is when UPS overnight became the only way to ship a pistol to an individual, and the cost went from $30's up to $90's +.

I've had one for over 20 years, I used to use it a lot. What killed it for me is when UPS overnight became the only way to ship a pistol to an individual, and the cost went from $30's up to $90's +.
That's me too. Got mine in the mid 90's and used it quite a bit. Still use it when I can to nab a discount but haven't bought any firearms with it in several years. Still going to keep it current.

I let mine expire about two years ago. Didn't make sense for me to keep it as I have what I wanted and the inexpensive surplus appears to have ended.

The only C&R gun purchase I've made since was my Finn M39 I got last year. Having it sent to Fourth Armory actually saved me time and money over it coming straight to my house. They had free transfers then and are close to my job. Guns sent to my home always arrived when I was at work, so I'd have to make the 40 mile round trip to the UPS dist center to pick them up.

C&R also made using this site somewhat problematic given people's natural aversion to handing out their info, even for a bound book.

I let mine expire about two years ago. Didn't make sense for me to keep it as I have what I wanted and the inexpensive surplus appears to have ended.

The only C&R gun purchase I've made since was my Finn M39 I got last year. Having it sent to Fourth Armory actually saved me time and money over it coming straight to my house. They had free transfers then and are close to my job. Guns sent to my home always arrived when I was at work, so I'd have to make the 40 mile round trip to the UPS dist center to pick them up.

C&R also made using this site somewhat problematic given people's natural aversion to handing out their info, even for a bound book.
Yeah, I've encountered the reluctance to give their info too. I think many here don't know or understand that a C&R ffl is subject to the many of the same regs as a true dealer ffl. Tried to sell my last c&r rifle on here not long after I joined. Few offers and those were very low. Ended up selling it to my lgs for $150 more than the best offer I got on here. Saw a post from another member about it a few days later who had spotted it on the rack in the store and they were saying what a great deal it was at $200 more than I had it listed here for. Go figure

Back
Top Bottom