• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cabela's "firearms experts" ......REALLY!?!....

I purchased a Savage Model 11 308 and needed some rails mounted quickly last winter on the way to a hunt in Adairsville, and went to Cabelas in Acworth also.
So they had the rails and I ask can you put them on? Sure the guy says, so I get to the camp and mount the scope and the gun would not fire. I thought I had enough experience to figure it out but without any positive results I took it to a Gunsmith a couple miles away.
He found they put the wrong screws in the rails which didn't allow the bolt to close far enough to allow it to fire.
Cost me 95.00 so I tool the receipt back to them and they did refund the cost. I'll never have them touch a gun I own again. Over priced store anyway!!
introvertspring.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_11_no_is_a_complete_sentence.jpg

There are lots of "experts" out there at stores other than Cabela's. I went to a FFL that received a Smith that I had shipped. I was asked the model number of the Smith I was to pick up. I told them M58. The genius behind the counter told me S&W never made a M58. He then preceded to tell me that if I did not know the model number, he could not allow me to receive the Smith. Yeah, he was surprised, and embarrassed when I showed him the MOD number on the Smith. I asked for another employee to check me out of the store.
lol, oh to be a fly on the wall when someone tries to school JWC on Smiths.

At the big counter its hit or miss, but the guy at the gun library Ive talked to a couple times seemed to know his stuff.

I havent paid much attention to gun counter guys in a long time anyway, since one of them said 357 sig is a girly round.

LOL, I think they're just collecting checks

I purchased a Savage Model 11 308 and needed some rails mounted quickly last winter on the way to a hunt in Adairsville, and went to Cabelas in Acworth also.
So they had the rails and I ask can you put them on? Sure the guy says, so I get to the camp and mount the scope and the gun would not fire. I thought I had enough experience to figure it out but without any positive results I took it to a Gunsmith a couple miles away.
He found they put the wrong screws in the rails which didn't allow the bolt to close far enough to allow it to fire.
Cost me 95.00 so I tool the receipt back to them and they did refund the cost. I'll never have them touch a gun I own again. Over priced store anyway!!
introvertspring.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_11_no_is_a_complete_sentence.jpg
I'll never take another gun into a Cabelas unless it's my carry gun. I purchased a S&W Shield 45acp when they came out and was having trouble finding a holster that fit properly. I made the mistake of taking it to Cabela's in Fort Oglethorpe and they immediately snatched it up from me, put a huge ass cable lock on it and took off in a sprint towards the back of the store. The guy got to the gun counter and handed it off to someone behind the counter then just walked off. By the time I got back there they had opened the door and tossed my gun in the backroom!?! I asked what the hell he did with my gun and he went back and got it.i told him I needed to try out a holster because I had already purchased one for it that didn't fit properly. So there that moron goes , takes off with my pistol towards the holsters and just stands there , totally clueless, no help whatsoever. I pick out a couple of holsters to try out and he runs back behind the counter. Then refuses to take the boat anchor out of my gun so I can see if it fit. I said to hell with it, gimme my gun back....and he did, after walking me back to the front door. They'll hand you their overpriced guns unlocked all day long, but your own gun?!.....don't even think about touching it.

At the big counter its hit or miss, but the guy at the gun library Ive talked to a couple times seemed to know his stuff.

I havent paid much attention to gun counter guys in a long time anyway, since one of them said 357 sig is a girly round.
These guys were in the library, not the big counter. There's a guy at the big counter there, I've spoken with before.....nice kid,a little different acting, but he told me himself he suffers from PTSD, not entirely postive he should be working the gun counter. I know I'll never buy a gun there because of him. Everytime he checks a gun to see if it's loaded, it's like he's trying to rip the bolt out of the damn things.

Reactions: JWC
Yep, I had a 1918 Colt Model 1911 still in the original Army Black finish. Every part that could be identified as 1918 was there and correct except the barrel. Had it sold at a reasonable price but the buyer's expert said it wasn't correct since it didn't have the GHD inspection stamp. Problem with that is the fact that Col Dewey didn't start stamping his initials on colts till SN >800,000, probably in the 1930s.
That "expert" blew the sale.
No long term worries, it sold later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom