• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber War resolved by FEDERAL!!!

Only watched the minute or two after the 7min mark but it seemed to me he was comparing the 223/5.56 to 44mag, did you confuse that for 22lr?

Did give you a 700 hint :) Still dont understand why they say calibers dont matter but they keep producing a variety.
Id back up my BS with pulling the entire line and putting out a 2300 fps pistol cartridge backed by a reputable firearms company.

FN 5.7x28?

So placement still matters but if you miss then velocity will make up for it. So the 7.5 is the king of pistols?
Did you mean 5.7?

Federal doesnt seem to agree with shot placement.
Only that it reaches 2k speeds to cause shock. So any round hitting anywhere at this speed will shut the body down. Aiming for vital areas is not needed. Its a bonus of course but if you miss the shock will do the rest. So super velocity pistols in low calibers "should" rule the market. War is good for sales though.
If the speed is high enuf, the shockwave in the air will kill, even if you miss the target!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/2/the-world-s-fastest-pistol-75-fk-brno/
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/05/17/25000-fps-handgun-cartridge/

I think the second link may be flawed

5.7×28
One of the obvious cartridges to check is the 5.7x28mm developed by FN Herstal. FN developed the round to be fired from both handguns and PDWs – a mission that is similar to the original design inspiration for the 7.5 FK cartridge. Although I’ve seen 5.7×28 ammunition rated at velocities in excess of 2,000 fps, I’ve never come close to those numbers from a handgun.

For example, the SS197 SR round with the 40 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet only measures an average of 1,683 fps across my chronograph when fired from the company’s Five seveN pistol. Likewise, the American Eagle 40 grain TMJ load from Federal averages 1,638 fps across my chrony. Military loads may do better, but I’d say the 7.5 FK is likely faster.

9mm
Interestingly, the oft maligned 9mm is capable of more than 2,000 fps from normal handguns. I’ve extensively tested the Civil Defense line of ammo from Liberty Ammunition. With a 50 grain hollowpoint bullet, I measured 5 shot average velocities in excess of 2,000 fps with a range of pistols:

• CZ P-07 Duty: 2,015 fps
  • Glock 17, Gen4: 2,087 fps
  • Glock 19, Gen2: 2,069 fps
  • Glock 19, Gen4: 2,025 fps
  • Glock 43: 2,028 fps
  • HK VP9: 2,057 fps
  • Springfield Armory XD-S 4.0: 2,001 fps
While Liberty Ammunition might be a niche load company, I daresay the 7.5 FK is a niche caliber so I believe the comparison is fair. Of course, the 7.5 FK is very impressive as its driving a bullet that is double the weight of the one used in the Liberty Ammunition round to roughly the same speeds.

Of course, one could also argue that obsolete cartridges like the .357 Maximum and .475 Wildey Magnum could also surpass 2,000 fps by loading a lighter bullet. In fact, both of those cartridges would likely blow past the 2,000 fps threshold with a 100 grain (or heavier) bullet.

Personally, Im wondering what other bullets can be pushed out of 10mm, 357 sig, 40, ect... With enough powder behind it pushing a smaller projectile any cartridge should shoot faster. Where is the point of diminishing returns?

Underwood 65 grain 357 sig lists 2100fps and ive seen them clock listed or higher.

The main take-away for me was why "all handgun calibers suck".

The explanation of how above (roughly) 2100 fps the bullet overcomes the elasticity of body tissue and makes the 'temporary' cavity a permanent one makes a ton of sense. It explains why rifle bullets are so much more likely to be fatal than handgun bullets, even when the handgun bullets are much larger.

From what I understand, 80% of people who are shot with a handgun survive while 80% shot with a rifle die. His explanation about how rifle velocities overcome the elasticity of human tissue makes total sense in this context.

22LR is just as deadly as 44 mag it seems. I would have lost money on this one.
Nothing matters till you hit 2251 fps Jump to 7:00 if you want. Time to go Moose hunting with my 22lr marlin

LOL... you get that 22LR up to 2251 fps and that moose won't stand a chance.

Thanks for saving me 13 minutes!

Youtube is a time sink leading to mostly common sense info and stupidity. With every so often glimpses of good content. Add years to your life and just dont watch it. Personal, I dont mind wasting time because Ive got nothing better to do. There is a post stating to skip to 7:00. Takes about as much time as creating a message.

Back
Top Bottom