• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calibers Ranked

nope, lack of penetration..

22lr has killed a ton of folks
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/06/08/teen-injured-after-being-shot-by-pellet-gun/

Ellifritz_Failure_to_Incap.png

Dying 3 hours later doesnt help me now.

When I went to select a camera to take nice pictures I decided to buy an SLR. At that time SLRs were what pros used and for the most post they still do. Nikon and Canon were the big dawgs on the block. When I went to select TVs Sony, Samsung, LG were some of my choices. When I went for a truck Ford and Chevy were my choices.

You may or may not like the listed brands but at the time those brands and what they offered seemed to be among the right choices. I narrowed down which ones were best for me with what I wanted from them.

Its been many many years since 45 and 9mm have been out. At the time I selected 45 acp and purchase a P220 and a Glock 30 as 2 of my first hand guns about 30ish years ago. Those Brands and that caliber seemed to have what I wanted.

Times change. Phones are now mobile and TVs are flat. SLRs might go away and there are tons of more choices in pistol brands and calibers. I have no brand loyalty unless it offers what I want. just so happens SIG still has what I want and Glock doesnt. The 45 no longer has what I want so I dont do 45 much. I own a few but dont carry them much.

Caliber loyalty is silly. Just because you own it doesnt make it the best. Just because you cant shoot it doesnt make it the worst. There IS an truck that is best for towing there IS a TV that has the best picture there IS a car that is the fastest 0-60 and there IS a best gun and caliber for different situations.

Finding out what best for you is great but to say a 9mm is better than a 357 SIG is only true if you cant shoot it.
9mm is best if you want a lot of rounds. The 357 SIG dwarfs the 9mm in power if you can handle it. the 44 mag dwarfs the 357 SIG for hunting and about anything else. the 10mm is a fricking great auto round and makes the 45 look like a short and weak.

If you need to shoot a 32 acp and thats all you can handle then "for you" its a great round and Im all for it BUT, it isnt a great or even good round ballistically. If the only thing that mattered was shot placement then 22LR would dominate the self defense market. Let me know if you want to trade your quality 9mm, 10mms ect... for some 22 pistols.

If you can disprove this guys "opinion" with facts please do so. Im willing to listen.
To me nobody thinks outside the box with this question. Everybody only thinks of themselves being to one beind the trigger. Put yourself in a situation where you were relying on someone else to defend your life. you have to choices. on one hand you have a guy with a 9mm who is highly trained, highly skilled, and very confident in his abilities. on the other hand you have a guy that has a 10mm who is recoil sensitive, only shot his firearm twice, and cant hit squat with it. Who would you choose to defend your life? The guy who cant put his cannon fire on paper or the well trained marksman?

To me nobody thinks outside the box with this question. Everybody only thinks of themselves being to one beind the trigger. Put yourself in a situation where you were relying on someone else to defend your life. you have to choices. on one hand you have a guy with a 9mm who is highly trained, highly skilled, and very confident in his abilities. on the other hand you have a guy that has a 10mm who is recoil sensitive, only shot his firearm twice, and cant hit squat with it. Who would you choose to defend your life? The guy who cant put his cannon fire on paper or the well trained marksman?

Of course the one that can hit the target. You are on a bear hunt with 2 guys you know are great shots. One guy brings a 38 special and the other brings a 460 smith. Now forget that a rifle is better lets go with pistols ATM.
Would you rather have the 460 smith backing you up or the 38 special?

Size and caliber does matter if you can hit what you are aiming at.

Of course the one that can hit the target. You are on a bear hunt with 2 guys you know are great shots. One guy brings a 38 special and the other brings a 460 smith. Now forget that a rifle is better lets go with pistols ATM.
Would you rather have the 460 smith backing you up or the 38 special?

Size and caliber does matter if you can hit what you are aiming at.
ok there you go. you said it. If you can hit. shot placement is the number one thing.

ok there you go. you said it. If you can hit. shot placement is the number one thing.

A shot on a bear with a 38 special will probably turn you into lunch. Placement only matters if the bullet has the power to reach a vital. "Also" you assume that every shot will hit your point of aim. Id rather hit a shoulder with a 44 mag than a 32 acp. Even missing the point of aim and hitting 'somewhere" on the target can bring the target down.

Targets are not going to present you with a picture perfect still front shot. They will move and possibly shoot back.
If I hit an arm Id rather hit that arm with the most powerful round I can control to put it out of action.

A shot on a bear with a 38 special will probably turn you into lunch. Placement only matters if the bullet has the power to reach a vital. "Also" you assume that every shot will hit your point of aim. Id rather hit a shoulder with a 44 mag than a 32 acp. Even missing the point of aim and hitting 'somewhere" on the target can bring the target down.

Targets are not going to present you with a picture perfect still front shot. They will move and possibly shoot back.
If I hit an arm Id rather hit that arm with the most powerful round I can control to put it out of action.
i can understand that point of view. i'll say any caliber 9mm and above with proper shot placement will end a threat.

30 rds. of 7.62 by mutha f'in 39...dat sum biiitch aint movin.

Back
Top Bottom