• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliper selection

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
The thread on scales reminded me that I've been meaning to get opinions on calipers. I currently use Frankford digital calipers. Cheap set and because it's cheap it allows doubt to creep into my mind sometimes when using it. Could I be getting more accurate or consistent measurements with another unit?

What say you? Digital or analog? Model?

I dont know what brand mine are, I found them in a bunch of my grandfathers stuff so they should be pretty good. Regardless, I keep a 147 gr M80 .308 bullet with my reloading stuff. I use it to confirm my scale and caliper before and after each session.

I use calibrated starrett and mitutoyo at work but for reloading I use the digital Frankford Arsenal. They work great! I actually love those things.

The thread on scales reminded me that I've been meaning to get opinions on calipers. I currently use Frankford digital calipers. Cheap set and because it's cheap it allows doubt to creep into my mind sometimes when using it. Could I be getting more accurate or consistent measurements with another unit?

What say you? Digital or analog? Model?

Remind me to show you what I've got when you get here today.

I am not big on digital scales or caliper myself.
in the case of calipers I don't see where as little as you use them that having a battery to eventually replace is worth it.
If you use pretty much any caliper that's reasonbally close in the general reloading process its good to go.
I mean think of how many use no calipers at all or even own one.
not nearly as important as having accurate scales.

I have a Frankford Arsenal - had to return it twice for defects
I also use a Performance Tool Caliper - got it from Auto Zone while I was waiting for the Frankford Arsenal to be returned.
The Frankford Arsenal is just gathering dust on my bench.

I use a set of digital calipers ive had for 10 years for building rc race cars.. i dont remember the brand and they arent marked but they are accurate and have been very reliable.

I use a cheap digital $39 set that I got from Pepboys. I have checked the against my analog set and they are always dead on. No need to spend $100.00 for a set of calipers for reloading. A machinist may benefit from them but reloading is not that precise.

Back
Top Bottom