• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliper selection

I have a Wixey digital calipers that have been calibrated, and they have been great for the 7-8 years I have owned them. Quick and easy to use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

Those are made by the same caring little chinese hands that make most (if not all) of the other digital calipers out there.

Yep, I tested these against >$120 digital calipers and my 30 year old dial calipers. They are spot on and believe you can get a connection that you can adapt them to your mill.

They have sales periodically and they sell for around $10.

My most expensive battery dial calipers have a horrible battery life. These ten dollar highly accurate calipers just keep on going.

If you spent much more than 10-20 dollars you overpaid.

Dial calipers.JPG

Last edited:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

Those are made by the same caring little chinese hands that make most (if not all) of the other digital calipers out there.

Yep, I tested these against >$120 digital calipers and my 30 year old dial calipers. They are spot on and believe you can get a connection that you can adapt them to your mill.

They have sales periodically and they sell for around $10.

My most expensive battery dial calipers have a horrible battery life. These ten dollar highly accurate calipers just keep on going.

If you spent much more than 10-20 dollars you overpaid.

View attachment 579707
I have the same $10 Harbor Freight caliper and several older dial calipers, I like the Harbor Freight one because I can switch between SAE and Metric with a push of a button. Plus they include 2 batteries!

I use the Igaging digital. The large display is really nice for quick readings.

I have Mitys, B&S, etc. For calipers the Chinese ones are fine. No, they may not hold up to repeated coolant exposure or get to half a thou accuracy but they are accurate enough and perfectly repeatable.

I use a Mitutoyo at work but for reloading, I use a $30 Carrera Precision. It's not as smooth as my Mity, but it holds tolerance well. I keep a 3/8" ball bearing in the case to check it from time to time. Even it's off +-0.005, it'll work for me. This caliper will turn off when it's idling and turn on when I move the slide. My Mity doesn't have these features.

Attachments

• 20151111_195432.jpg
    20151111_195432.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 10
really depends what you are using it for....If you are working on a lathe or Mill then spend the $$ for a name brand like Brown and Sharpe ( my favorite)..

if you are just measuring cases then the cheap HF dials work well... I've never trusted the cheap electronic ones... they loose Zero way to often

Ive always used mitutoyo dials. Always return to zero and buttery smooth action. Always passes inspection at work too.

I use Mitutoyo dial calipers too. Never had a problem with them. I also have a set of Craftsman calipers that I bought about 25 yrs ago. That was well before Craftsman changed into cheap Chinese crap. But I use the Mitutoyo when reloading.

Back
Top Bottom