• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all bladesmiths

cimino289

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting into knife making as a hobby to make things for myself. What are some of the tools you recommend other than a forge and anvil, any recommended reading, any advice. Tell me everything you got.

I had looked into this as well a while back.. A KMG belt sander/grinder is the bees knees when it comes to helping form / shape your blade. As well as getting the initial edge. The knife maker I watched used a small end mill to help shape guards and mill out the slot for the tang to slip through. He also used a forge for various things.

ddennis ddennis sounds good. I have been thinking about putting out an Ad for an anvil as I don't have one on hand not short on hammers clamps or smaller wood working stuff for handles but the grinder like you said and the anvil should be two of my largest expenses

BNB BNB yeah I said the same about building. I may make some for friends but aside from that I'd rather just do it to make things I can't seem to buy, not in my specs anyways.

Reactions: BNB
I was thinking about getting into knife making as a hobby to make things for myself. What are some of the tools you recommend other than a forge and anvil, any recommended reading, any advice. Tell me everything you got.
Join the Knife Makers Guild of Georgia, and attend the Track rock festival at the campground they have twice a year in Blairsville..Those gentleman are on the top of their game..And freely give great advice!

First, make sure you differentiate between blacksmithing and knifemaking. No need for an anvil if you plan to be a knifemaker. Now if it's blacksmithing you're after, then go with the heaviest you can afford.

Hit me with a PM and I'll give you a list of necessary, nice to have but not necessary, completely unnecessary, etc.

I starting making knives some years ago but didn't get in to forging blades. The blade materials available from suppliers was reasonable enough to allow me to make knives at an affordable price. I purchased some blade and handle materials at the blade show as well. I used the kiln at work for hardening and tempering my blades and I experimented with hardening blades with a torch in my shop. Had a lot of fun making knives for a while but just didn't have to time to keep making knives with life's changes. There are a lot of options for making knives without a lot of expense. Forging blades seemed a little too expensive for me as far as overhead for a hobby

Back
Top Bottom