• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all SKS experts

Swab

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
I acquired an SKS recently and I know nothing about them. Hoping someone can help me identify a period correct sling, cleaning kit and mag pouches. I haven't been able to find one online that has the same roll marks as this one. Also, I know the "matching numbers" thing is important but there are two sets of matching numbers on this one.
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG

Pretty common Yugoslavian M59/66 that looks like it was probably re-arsenaled. Even though 59/66's are one of the most common types of SKS, it looks like yours is in nice condition. It's not completely matching, so you might as well shoot it and enjoy it. Be aware that Yugo SKS have some different parts than a Russian, Chinese, or Romanian SKS, like gas tube.

Pretty common Yugoslavian M59/66 that looks like it was probably re-arsenaled. Even though 59/66's are one of the most common types of SKS, it looks like yours is in nice condition. It's not completely matching, so you might as well shoot it and enjoy it. Be aware that Yugo SKS have some different parts than a Russian, Chinese, or Romanian SKS, like gas tube.
Oh, I fully intend to shoot the hell out of it.

Disassemble the bolt with a punch and clean out the channel for the firing pin.
At a minimum check to see that it moves freely.
The previous owners may not have cleaned out the cosmoline. The pin could get stuck in the forward position.
Also don't force the gas tube takedown lever. Or whatever the technical name is.

Back
Top Bottom