• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Family memeber sell me a gun?

It says absolutely nothing about making false claims to the government. You dreamed that up yourself. I will say again. Purchasing something for someone who could not legally purchase it their self or cannot legally own it is a straw purchase plain and simple. An 18 year old can legally own a handgun. Never said otherwise. Whether a straw purchase is legal or not is up for some interpretation as it applies to many things besides firearms. You made a statement saying you can straw purchase all day long as long as it doesn't involve and FFL. That is what I disagree with. A straw purchase could be for an automobile in which case you are committing fraud if you purchase it for someone who could not legally own it or purchase it themselves. Same with a home or many other things. The term straw purchase is not limited to just firearms transactions. Their may be case where a straw purchase is legal but not in all cases or even in most cases.
I also agree there is no shame in admitting to making a mistake.
Talk about muddying the water, the thread is about an 18 year old getting his sister to sell him a firearm. Had nothing to do with the straw purchase of cars or homes. I here all the time that is against the law to make a straw purchase. Yet no one can ever provide a code section stating so. Straw purchases often are used in conjunction with illegal activities, such as fraud, theft, or even providing a firearm to a prohibited person. However the crime that is committed is not the straw purchase.

Talk about muddying the water, the thread is about an 18 year old getting his sister to sell him a firearm. Had nothing to do with the straw purchase of cars or homes. I here all the time that is against the law to make a straw purchase. Yet no one can ever provide a code section stating so. Straw purchases often are used in conjunction with illegal activities, such as fraud, theft, or even providing a firearm to a prohibited person. However the crime that is committed is not the straw purchase.
And that is perfectly legal. Never said otherwise. You made the statement that you could make straw purchases all day long and not be breaking any laws or something to that effect and I disagree. Simple as that. I didn't get involved in this till page 7 or 8. Don't blame me for muddying anything. When you realize that your statement is not accurate then the problem will be solved. The act of making a straw purchase is fraud in and of itself.

And that is perfectly legal. Never said otherwise. You made the statement that you could make straw purchases all day long and not be breaking any laws or something to that effect and I disagree. Simple as that. I didn't get involved in this till page 7 or 8. Don't blame me for muddying anything. When you realize that your statement is not accurate then the problem will be solved.
What statement did I make that is not accurate?

I can make straw purchases all day long. You have not provided a code that says otherwise. Now if I were to violate some other law in conjunction with the straw purchase that would be a different story.
So you are saying that committing fraud is not against any law? I say that the act of a straw purchase is commiting fraud therefore illegal. It may be a civil crime or it maybe criminal depending on the circumstances but illegal either way and you have not shown me anything to convince me otherwise. Maybe it would be best to just leave it at that. You have already made accusations that could be taken as provocation and I have chosen to ignore them. I have not doubled down or refused to admit anything. My opinion still stands the same as when I first got involved. I think it is a good time to just let it go.

So you are saying that committing fraud is not against any law? I say that the act of a straw purchase is commiting fraud therefore illegal. It may be a civil crime or it maybe criminal depending on the circumstances but illegal either way and you have not shown me anything to convince me otherwise. Maybe it would be best to just leave it at that. You have already made accusations that could be taken as provocation and I have chosen to ignore them. I have not doubled down or refused to admit anything. My opinion still stands the same as when I first got involved. I think it is a good time to just let it go.
Obviously you're not an attorney, and you don't understand that a straw purchase can take place without it being fraud.

Maybe u missed this in regard to straw purchases

summer44ODT Junkie!
rank11.png

Rating - 100%
13 0 0

straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is often unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service themselves, and the agent transfers the goods or services to that person after purchasing them. In general, straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods or services.

In some jurisdictions, straw purchases are legal even if the end user is not legally able to purchase the good or service himself or herself.[1]

Back
Top Bottom