• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Family memeber sell me a gun?

You didn't state in your response that they both had to be Georgia residents. You said as long as they could possess a firearm it was okay. Resident aliens can possess guns in Georgia.

Details, details, details.

Resident aliens can buy and sell guns like any other citizen, so I don't get your point.

Resident aliens can buy and sell guns like any other citizen, so I don't get your point.

If they are not residents of Georgia, and they are buying a handgun, it has to go through an FFL in their state. If they are buying a long gun in a private sale, it has to go through a FFL/

Another member made a statement that anyone who could "possess" a gun in Georgia could do "y'all" business [in Georgia], which is not correct (or a complete statement of the law).

I was making the point that people who could "possess" a gun in Georgia included resident aliens, who reside in other states. In fact, an alien doesn't even have to be a permanent resident, or reside in the U.S. to be eligible to purchase or possess a firearm. I try not to include too many facts in one response, because you can see how disturbed some people get with the information overload.

If they are not residents of Georgia, and they are buying a handgun, it has to go through an FFL in their state. If they are buying a long gun in a private sale, it has to go through a FFL/

Another member made a statement that anyone who could "possess" a gun in Georgia could do "y'all" business [in Georgia], which is not correct (or a complete statement of the law).

I was making the point that people who could "possess" a gun in Georgia included resident aliens, who reside in other states. In fact, an alien doesn't even have to be a permanent resident, or reside in the U.S. to be eligible to purchase or possess a firearm. I try not to include too many facts in one response, because you can see how disturbed some people get with the information overload.

Ah, I understand your point. For clarity, resident aliens are subject to very much the same gun laws as a US citizen. To be clear, a non resident alien can only posses, or buy a gun, under very specific circumstance. A visiting alien can't buy a gun like a resident, or citizen.

As someone who's been shooting in the US as a member of all three categories, I've done a bit of research over the years ;)

There must be more to this story.....
Yuuupp...
Somebody is so silent.....
Duct tape is a beast... We need to carry them all the time... hahahahaha
upload_2021-2-20_19-48-23.jpeg

. A visiting alien can't buy a gun like a resident, or citizen.

Actually he can if he establishes residency in a state.

I learned this a long time ago, before I actually read the law.

The Navy Supply Corp school was in Athens, and it had a lot of foreigners go through the school - members of foreign military detached to the school.

You could always tell when a new class started, because there would be rush of foreign uniforms buying guns at Franklins. I knew the owner and manager, and they assured me it was all legal, and it was up to the purchaser to figure out how to get it home. Most of them were from South America, where gun ownership wasn't such a big deal, but there wasn't much in the way of selection, and tariffs made the prices high.

Even though they were citizens of another country, "residency" is a matter of intent, and all they had to do was have the "intent" to be a resident of Georgia - for at least 90 days.

BTW, I should mention that at least two branches have prohibited through regulation foreign military from purchasing or possessing firearms, after a a God fearing, peace loving, Saudi Arabian Muslim killed 3 sailors with his legally purchased and owned firearm. He used another exception, possession of a hunting license, which is evidence of residency. But as far as the LAW on purchasing firearms, the eligibility remains.

Actually he can if he establishes residency in a state.

I learned this a long time ago, before I actually read the law.

The Navy Supply Corp school was in Athens, and it had a lot of foreigners go through the school - members of foreign military detached to the school.

You could always tell when a new class started, because there would be rush of foreign uniforms buying guns at Franklins. I knew the owner and manager, and they assured me it was all legal, and it was up to the purchaser to figure out how to get it home. Most of them were from South America, where gun ownership wasn't such a big deal, but there wasn't much in the way of selection, and tariffs made the prices high.

Even though they were citizens of another country, "residency" is a matter of intent, and all they had to do was have the "intent" to be a resident of Georgia - for at least 90 days.

Foreign military may fall under one of the exemptions.

From the ATF:

"An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien falls within one of the following exceptions: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business. In addition, a nonimmigrant alien legally in the United States with or without a nonimmigrant visa may lawfully acquire a firearm only if he/she meets State of residence requirements as required by the Federal government.

There must be more to this story.....
not really I was just trying buy a gun from a family member specifically a micro Draco.
but in a thread I made someone told me “why don’t you just let you’re sister buy a pistol and sell it to you after “ but someone told me not do that cause I might be breaking a law. so I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t I already did some research as well didn’t really say much but y’all answered my question so Appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom