• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Family memeber sell me a gun?

not really I was just trying buy a gun from a family member specifically a micro Draco.
but in a thread I made someone told me “why don’t you just let you’re sister buy a pistol and sell it to you after “ but someone told me not do that cause I might be breaking a law. so I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t I already did some research as well didn’t really say much but y’all answered my question so Appreciate that.
Wait, why can’t you just buy it yourself?

Wait, why can’t you just buy it yourself?

Because he is 18 and a Draco is a handgun thus why he can’t buy it himself. I was the person in the other thread who told him not to do it, because in that thread it was mentioned to just have a family member buy it for him which of course would be a straw purchase.

OP, if your sister bought a gun for herself that she later decided she didn’t want she could sell it to you. If your sister wanted to buy a gun to give to you as a gift she could legally do so. However if you give your sister money to buy a gun for you then it is illegal.

makes sense?

No?

that’s government.

Because he is 18 and a Draco is a handgun thus why he can’t buy it himself. I was the person in the other thread who told him not to do it, because in that thread it was mentioned to just have a family member buy it for him which of course would be a straw purchase.

OP, if your sister bought a gun for herself that she later decided she didn’t want she could sell it to you. If your sister wanted to buy a gun to give to you as a gift she could legally do so. However if you give your sister money to buy a gun for you then it is illegal.

makes sense?

No?

that’s government.

18 yr. old can buy and own a handgun in a private transaction in GA. After he buys it, gets a little sticky, because he can't carry it in public (except for some exceptions like hunting and fishing). He can carry it a car he is driving, but not one in which he is a passenger - go figure that one out.

GWCL does no such thing, it only shows they were not a felon at the time it was issues, maybe. ( worked more than 1 case where a felon had been issues a license in error)

It is also I good way to get your identity stolen

A lot of stuff can happen in 5 years.

I've known people who were scheduled for trial for felonies rush out and get a GWL. And the permit doesn't tell you anything about pending court orders, misdemeanor convictions for family violence, current residence, and so on.

18 yr. old can buy and own a handgun in a private transaction in GA. After he buys it, gets a little sticky, because he can't carry it in public (except for some exceptions like hunting and fishing). He can carry it a car he is driving, but not one in which he is a passenger - go figure that one out.

right, but an 18 year old cannot give a 21 year old money and have the 21 year old buy the gun for them. Just like I can't give you money and have you buy me a gun. Straw purchase, first question on the 4473.

right, but an 18 year old cannot give a 21 year old money and have the 21 year old buy the gun for them. Just like I can't give you money and have you buy me a gun. Oh yes you can Straw purchase, first question on the 4473.

A 4473 isn't required for a private purchase/sale, and a straw sale is not illegal between individuals. Lying about it being a straw purchase on the 4473 is illegal and a crime, not the straw purchase itself.

Even the U.S. Supreme Court agrees. Read Abramski v. United States,

The issue SCOTUS decided (contrary to most news reports, which why you have to read the decision) is whether it can be a crime to lie about the commission of a legal act. A bare majority said "yes" - but you have to note that the crime for which Abamski was convicted was lying about the sale, not the sale itself, which the majority conceded was legal - there being no statute prohibiting straw sales. (you have to read the dissent to really get all the details on this point, it gets quite philosophical)

Ergo, an 18 year CAN give a 21 year old to the money to buy a gun for him, in a private sale, as long as no 4473 is involved, which brings us back to the residency of the parties.

A 4473 isn't required for a private purchase/sale, and a straw sale is not illegal between individuals. Lying about it being a straw purchase on the 4473 is illegal and a crime, not the straw purchase itself.

Even the U.S. Supreme Court agrees. Read Abramski v. United States,

The issue SCOTUS decided (contrary to most news reports, which why you have to read the decision) is whether it can be a crime to lie about the commission of a legal act. A bare majority said "yes" - but you have to note that the crime for which Abamski was convicted was lying about the sale, not the sale itself, which the majority conceded was legal - there being no statute prohibiting straw sales. (you have to read the dissent to really get all the details on this point, it gets quite philosophical)

Ergo, an 18 year CAN give a 21 year old to the money to buy a gun for him, in a private sale, as long as no 4473 is involved, which brings us back to the residency of the parties.

Why would an 18 year old be giving a 21 year old money to buy it for them if there wasn’t a 4473 involved?

And my point about me and you was the same. I cannot legally give you 600 dollars and have you go buy a gun from adventure outdoors for me.

Back
Top Bottom