• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a felon with Restored rights travel?

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
164   0
Reaction score
Have an uncle that made some bad decisions years ago and has just recently had the state give him a pardon and restoration of firearms rights. He's excited to get back into the world and getting back into hunting but information is pretty hard to come by as far as if he can travel/hunt out of state with a firearm legally or not. Was wondering if anyone out there has ever found the answer to this?

If it was a state offense I don't see why not. The pardon and restoration mean he's no longer a felon in his state.

If it was federal then he'd probably have to get restored in any state he wanted to have a gun in though.

Just guessing on this... he should probably contact a good lawyer before trying anything outside his own state.

Have an uncle that made some bad decisions years ago and has just recently had the state give him a pardon and restoration of firearms rights. He's excited to get back into the world and getting back into hunting but information is pretty hard to come by as far as if he can travel/hunt out of state with a firearm legally or not. Was wondering if anyone out there has ever found the answer to this?
full pardon? It never happened!

Full Pardon Law and Legal Definition
Full pardon is a pardon which remits the punishment and blots out the existence of guilt. Effect of full pardon is that in the eyes of the law the offender is as innocent as if he had never committed the offense. It removes any disqualifications or punitive effect stemming from conviction.

full pardon? It never happened!

Full Pardon Law and Legal Definition
Full pardon is a pardon which remits the punishment and blots out the existence of guilt. Effect of full pardon is that in the eyes of the law the offender is as innocent as if he had never committed the offense. It removes any disqualifications or punitive effect stemming from conviction.

not sure if it was a full pardon, saw the paperwork and had Pardon up at the top but other than that not really sure. figured he's gonna have to talk with a lawyer about all this but didnt know if anyone knew of someone that had gone through it already.

Went through it myself. The pardon papers should specify "including restoration of the right to bear arms"
002.JPG

I read many years ago that the state can pardon you all they want BUT... the ATF is in charge of restoring firearms rights. Now remember this was in the late 90s. Anyway, kinda like the NFA branch the restoration branch is supposed to be a separate and have it's own staff. Back then under the Clinton Reno regime the branch existed but had zero staff members or annual budget. So you could send your application to them but it would just sit there unprocessed forever.
What I gathered from all that was that yeah you would most likely be fine owning guns and buying them used from individuals in GA. But when it came to NCIC background checks for new gun purchases you would probably get denied.
But again, I'm no lawyer or expert and this was info I read in an NRA magazine over 20 years ago.

He is good to go anywhere he wants. It’s as if he was never a felon. Although his paperwork proving he has had his rights restored would be beneficial.

If the pardon does not state Including the right to bear arms it does not cover that right. When applying for a pardon there are several different types that can issued or not.

Just copied this from the ga pardons and parole site.

Is a Restoration of Civil and Political Rights a separate process from a Restoration of Firearm Rights? Yes, these are different processes. If you would like to have your firearm rights restored, you must check the line on the application for “Restoration of Right to Receive, Possess or Transport in Commerce a Firearm” and meet the applicable requirements. A personal interview will be required for firearm restorations.

Here is the first part of the application.
APPLICATION FOR PARDON / RESTORATION OF RIGHTS
I am applying for (check the appropriate line):
_____ Restoration of Civil and Political Rights ( for eligibility requirements, see Page 11, Section 1)
_____ Pardon ( for eligibility requirements, see Page 12, see Section 2 )
_____ Restoration of Right to Receive, Possess or Transport in Commerce a Firearm
( for eligibility requirements, see Page 12, Section 3 )
_____ Pardon exception ( for eligibility requirements, see Page 13, Section 4 )
Additional

If the pardon does not state Including the right to bear arms it does not cover that right. When applying for a pardon there are several different types that can issued or not.

Just copied this from the ga pardons and parole site.

Is a Restoration of Civil and Political Rights a separate process from a Restoration of Firearm Rights? Yes, these are different processes. If you would like to have your firearm rights restored, you must check the line on the application for “Restoration of Right to Receive, Possess or Transport in Commerce a Firearm” and meet the applicable requirements. A personal interview will be required for firearm restorations.

it has specifically the "including right to bear arms" part

Back
Top Bottom