• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a felon with Restored rights travel?

Excellent, he checked the right box. He is good to go. Was told not to purchase for a while cause it would take a bit of time for the paperwork to be attached to my file/be put on record.

Excellent, he checked the right box. He is good to go. Was told not to purchase for a while cause it would take a bit of time for the paperwork to be attached to my file/be put on record.
He will likely always get delayed. I highly recommend getting a permit.

I read many years ago that the state can pardon you all they want BUT... the ATF is in charge of restoring firearms rights. Now remember this was in the late 90s. Anyway, kinda like the NFA branch the restoration branch is supposed to be a separate and have it's own staff. Back then under the Clinton Reno regime the branch existed but had zero staff members or annual budget. So you could send your application to them but it would just sit there unprocessed forever.
What I gathered from all that was that yeah you would most likely be fine owning guns and buying them used from individuals in GA. But when it came to NCIC background checks for new gun purchases you would probably get denied.
But again, I'm no lawyer or expert and this was info I read in an NRA magazine over 20 years ago.

This.

He can carry a firearm in Georgia, even get a GWL, and he can own a firearm in Georgia without violating state law.

However, the Feds will not recognize the pardon for the purpose of restoring firearms rights, and he will not be able to pass a background check to purchase from a FFL. If the Feds wanted to, they could prosecute him for being a felon in possession of a firearm within the State of Georgia.

The reason is rather convoluted, but that's the way it is, and you can thank our good Republican friends in the White House and Congress for it being that way.

This means that in the real world, travel state to state with a firearm will be dicey, and depends somewhat on THAT state's laws on such things.

This.

He can carry a firearm in Georgia, even get a GWL, and he can own a firearm in Georgia without violating state law.

However, the Feds will not recognize the pardon for the purpose of restoring firearms rights, and he will not be able to pass a background check to purchase from a FFL. If the Feds wanted to, they could prosecute him for being a felon in possession of a firearm within the State of Georgia.

The reason is rather convoluted, but that's the way it is, and you can thank our good Republican friends in the White House and Congress for it being that way.

This means that in the real world, travel state to state with a firearm will be dicey, and depends somewhat on THAT state's laws on such things.
In that situation I would just stay under the Fed radar. You know do your buying here and Armslist etc. I wouldn't push it to go to other states armed. Why go anywhere else anyway? But seriously I read last week about Missouri drafting legislation to become Second Amendment Sanctuary State. From what I read they will not enforce any new gun laws. In fact the way it read it seemed like they wouldn't recognize the NFA. Although I can't see that going well. But when you look at other states openly flaunting their non compliance of fed law ...
Why hasn't the DEA swooped down on Colorado? Why hasn't ICE raided 50 different sanctuary cities across the country? Why hasn't the IRS stepped in to prosecute am the new legal weed dealers and all that cash they're making?

In that situation I would just stay under the Fed radar. You know do your buying here and Armslist etc. I wouldn't push it to go to other states armed. Why go anywhere else anyway? But seriously I read last week about Missouri drafting legislation to become Second Amendment Sanctuary State. From what I read they will not enforce any new gun laws. In fact the way it read it seemed like they wouldn't recognize the NFA. Although I can't see that going well. But when you look at other states openly flaunting their non compliance of fed law ...
Why hasn't the DEA swooped down on Colorado? Why hasn't ICE raided 50 different sanctuary cities across the country? Why hasn't the IRS stepped in to prosecute am the new legal weed dealers and all that cash they're making?

A state can always turn a blind eye to enforcing its own laws, however, felon in possession of a firearm is one of those things that is a crime under federal and state law, and the feds always have the option of enforcing it, just like the drug laws to which you correctly refer.

Two friends of mine got their rights restored, got an FFL and opened a pawnshop. Couldn't believe it knowing their history.

This.

I disagree. I had a friend that was an Alabama resident get his rights restored. He passed background checks in Georgia to buy guns. Keep paperwork with him when he is in other states and he won’t have a problem. Do police run background checks on everyone they stop for a tail light out? No. They only check for active warrants.

Back
Top Bottom