• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 have his fathers gun in car loaded?

A 18 year old can carry his fathers gun loaded in his car

• Total voters
Hopefully this will help you I copied the text from:
https://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Possession of handguns by minors: Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course.Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shootingEngaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized groupHunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner (no concealing of the firearm)Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion.Any minor who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.Any minor who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23. (self defense laws, listed further down the page)The exceptions DO NOT apply to any minor who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.(It appears as if GA law, even though it prohibits minors from possessing handguns except as provided above, does not prohibit minors from possessing rifles and shotguns, unless they have been convicted of a felony or forcible misdemeanor. Under GA law, children under the age of 13 cannot be considered or found guilty of any crime. 16-11-132, 16-3-1)

Furnishing a Pistol to a Minor - It is illegal to sell or give a pistol or revolver to a person under 18 years old. Possession of handguns by minors is only allowed as explained in the Possession section above.(16-11-101.1)

With all the misinformation available on the internet, especially in forums, I strongly suggest doing your own research. The GBI website may have the best information.

Your vehicle is not an extension of your home, no matter how many times it gets repeated on the internet.

In Georgia, an 18 year old can carry a pistol in his automobile, which in every day terms, means an automobile he is operating. Presuming he is not otherwise disqualified from owning the firearm. Whether or not it is loaded is irrelevant.. Whether or not it is concealed is irrelevant.

If you are a passenger and under 21, you cannot possess a handgun in the automobile. Again, loaded or unloaded is irrelevant. The reason is rather convoluted. Any passenger can carry a handgun if he is eligible for a GWL, at 18 you are not eligible unless you are in the military. So that's a "gotcha".

The ownership of the gun is irrelevant, provided you have permission to possess it.

This situation can lead to some tricky situations. Say you go to a friend's house with your legally carried pistol in your car. You cannot take it from the automobile to the house without a GWL, which of course you don't have.

Same thing if you take a road trip, and need to stay in a motel.

OTOH you can carry a pistol while hunting, fishing, or target shooting without a GWL (make sure to read the rules on doing these if they are an option), so if you are where you are going to engage in these activities, you should be good to go.

As a footnote, I will tell you that there are many LEO on the streets right now who do not know the law about handguns, automobiles, and 18 years olds. if you carry a handgun in an automobile be prepared to be hassled. While you have the right to carry it on your person while in the automobile, i cannot recommend that you do so.

As another footnote, even in a car, there may be places you can't park without a GWL, schools and churches come to mind. I haven't looked at this laws in this context but it could be an issue.
google lying?
Screenshot_20191204-155928_Google.jpg

As far as I know there's no GA or federal law prohibiting and 18 year old from having a handgun in their car, either on their body or anywhere else, loaded or unloaded.

Problem is gonna be 90% of the police are probably not gonna respect that and give you a hard time about it. Keep it concealed and keep your mouth shut about it.

I did this for years from 18-21. Many ODT members even sold me pistols with their consent and knowledge of my age when I was 18-21; which is legal. I have been pulled over with them and (by my choice of course) make sure to let johnny lawman know what I got and where it's at. Never had a problem. 18 to posess a firearm in GA private sale.

As far as I know there's no GA or federal law prohibiting and 18 year old from having a handgun in their car, either on their body or anywhere else, loaded or unloaded.

Problem is gonna be 90% of the police are probably not gonna respect that and give you a hard time about it. Keep it concealed and keep your mouth shut about it.
I have to disagree. I am black(ish), tend to sport an afro and have never had a problem being honest and well spoken with a lawman. I have always received what I gave from police, and I damn sure ain't no bootlicker. Sure they got a little spooky but when you fail to announce that weapon and the greenhorn catches a glimpse of the grip poking out you're gonna get lit up. I think being honest and open and comforting to lawmen (who are often more scared of you than you are them) is the best approach.

I have to disagree. I am black(ish), tend to sport an afro and have never had a problem being honest and well spoken with a lawman. I have always received what I gave from police, and I damn sure ain't no bootlicker. Sure they got a little spooky but when you fail to announce that weapon and the greenhorn catches a glimpse of the grip poking out you're gonna get lit up. I think being honest and open and comforting to lawmen (who are often more scared of you than you are them) is the best approach.
I didn't say to not be honest or well spoken, my advice was to just keep your mouth shut about it. There's no need for them to know. Sure a good one is not gonna care, but a bad one is gonna want to clear the gun and all kinds of other BS.

The reason an 18 year old can carry in their motor vehicle is because O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 (a) says they can. Not because of any "extension of home" verbiage.

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

To my knowledge, the phrase "extension of home" does not exist in any of the firearms sections of O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 through 16-11-130.

It simply is not there.

It might be there in other sections concerning self defense of self and habitation.

This is a myth that has bounced around forever, and no amount of education seems to make it go away. Every presentation we do has a long discussion about this. It will never go away.

Jerry

Can I tell you about the time my Doberman nearly choked to death.

The reason an 18 year old can carry in their motor vehicle is because O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 (a) says they can. Not because of any "extension of home" verbiage.

To my knowledge, the phrase "extension of home" does not exist in any of the firearms sections of O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 through 16-11-130.

It simply is not there.

This is a myth that has bounced around forever, and no amount of education seems to make it go away. Every presentation we do has a long discussion about this. It will never go away.

Jerry

Well, Jerry, I see that there are two of us now. Get ready for the jibes from the people that know better.

"Extension of the home" does not appear in any statute at all in Georgia.

It does not appear in ANY court decision in the United States (which includes Georgia) that discusses automobiles. The only language that closely approximates it appears in some decisions regarding temporary lodging, including motor homes, motel rooms and such.

There are law professors who have made careers explaining the difference between your homeplace, it's curtilege , and automobiles. No law professor anywhere has made a career out of discussing how an automobile is an extension of your home.

Your place of business is not an extension of your home. You can carry a gun there because the Georgia legislature said you can.

Anywhere else you carry a gun legally outside of your home is because there is an express Georgia statute that says you can carry it there. You can't carry ANYWHERE because it's an "extension of your home."

Hopefully this will help you I copied the text from:
https://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Possession of handguns by minors: Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course.Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shootingEngaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized groupHunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner (no concealing of the firearm)Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion.Any minor who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.Any minor who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23. (self defense laws, listed further down the page)The exceptions DO NOT apply to any minor who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.(It appears as if GA law, even though it prohibits minors from possessing handguns except as provided above, does not prohibit minors from possessing rifles and shotguns, unless they have been convicted of a felony or forcible misdemeanor. Under GA law, children under the age of 13 cannot be considered or found guilty of any crime. 16-11-132, 16-3-1)

Furnishing a Pistol to a Minor - It is illegal to sell or give a pistol or revolver to a person under 18 years old. Possession of handguns by minors is only allowed as explained in the Possession section above.(16-11-101.1)

With all the misinformation available on the internet, especially in forums, I strongly suggest doing your own research. The GBI website may have the best information.

this doesn’t address the question.

I never thought "extension of your home" was meant as any exact legal term. Just thought it was kinda laymans terms to say the laws in your car are similar to that of your house.

So is there any difference between what an 18 year old can do with a handgun in his vehicle vs his home?

Back
Top Bottom