• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 yr old carry a shotgun in his car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you follow thru with this, please set him up with a way to secure it in the vehicle. I've had coworkers lose firearms on three different jobs in the last couple years to stinking

The thing is, he would only carry it when he is working late or when he goes fishing and knows he will be driving after dark. Yes, we have already found a good spot to hide it and lock it up.

He's a good boy and I really believe he knows better than to show it off to his buddies.

I just wantef to know if it was legal for him to carry it.

I don't ever give my 2 cents.... but I have a son that will be 19 tomorrow and nobody will protect my son while he is alone in his vehicle but him. He has what he needs and understands what it's for in the event it is needed.

Provide your son with the necessary protection that he would need just in case and IF something happens deal with it then. I couldn't live with the fact that IF something happened and my son couldn't protect himself.... just like I protect myself.

I say let him get the shotgun for Christmas but keep it at the house at all times. Get him a nice pocket knife to carry.

Then I'd tell him he's going to take some type of physical self defense class and learn how to grapple, pressure point, and choke the crap out of someone till they black out... open up the back door and tell him lesson one is in 50 seconds

He has more knives than I do(I have around a 100) and almost as many guns. It's not whether I trust him with a gun or not. He has had his own gun and been shooting since he was 5.

As far as grappling, he wrestled, played football and soccer. He's a pretty tough and strong kid. And no way in hell am I gonna grapple with him! When I was younger, I was a pretty tough guy, but I'm old now. He doesn't need to think he can whoop his old man!LOL

I am getting my 18 yr old son one of those Remington Tac14 shotguns for Christmas. He wants to be able to carry it in his car with him.(not to school of course)

Is this legal? Or is it a 12 juror or 6 pall bearers type of scenario?
The Remington 870 Tac-14 is classified by the BATF as a “firearm”, and is neither a handgun or a shotgun, and requires no special license/tax stamp to carry in a vehicle in Georgia. O.C.G.A. 16-11-126(a) applies. If your son is 18, not prohibited from possessing a firearm, driving in his vehicle.... he is 100% legal in Georgia as long as he stays out of prohibited areas (federal ports, nuke facilities, etc).

When I was younger, I was a pretty tough guy, but I'm old now. He doesn't need to think he can whoop his old man!LOL

When I was too little to whip my Daddy I was too scared to even try. When I became man enough, because I was young and he was old, I had so much love and respect for him to ever even consider it…and maybe I was still a little scared too!

I bet your son has the exact same feelings.

To my understanding 18 and up can posess a handgun, just not legal to carry. After all the car is an extension of your/his home.

For about the 1001th time, this is not a correct statement of the law.

That said, it is perfectly legal for an 18 year old, who is not disqualified from possessing a firearm, to carry any firearm in HIS automobile. He cannot carry a handgun as a passenger in someone else automobile.

All the general restrictions apply, but there is no special restriction on someone because they are 18.

FWIW, a 16 year old can carry a long gun in his automobile. Ask 10 LEO that question, and count the wrong answers/

I do not see why it would be illegal. Just dont let him be dumb and keep it in the front seat loaded. From my understanding you can keep it in the car,it just cant be "easily accessible". I always kept mine under the back seat unloaded when I was 18 which was not that long ago.

Your understanding is wrong. You can drive around with it in your lap if that suits you

If he can legally own a shotgun he should be able to keep it in his car.
The car isn't technically an 'extension' of your home, I've never seen it worded that way in the code, it lists home, car, place of business; it doesn't say extension.
But I'm not a lawyer and someone on the ODT is and even wrote a book about GA gun laws, so he might know.

Thank you for posting this.

As CQB27 said, this 14” barreled firearm, though it uses shotgun shells, is NOT a shotgun under EITHER Federal law or Georgia law.
In GA, it’s not a “long gun” because the barrel is not 18”.
See Code section 16–11-125.1 (definitions).

So, if it’s not a weapon or long gun, what law would criminalize carrying it loaded and ready to use?

In most places, no law applies. Weapons or long guns are restricted in a lot of places, but not this odd duck that doesn’t meet those legal definitions.

Keep in mind that the school weapons law and the “felon in possession of a firearm” law both use a broad definition that will include any type of firearm. Anything that throws a projectile forward through the burning or explosion of gunpowder.

Now, code section 16-11-126 has a specific authorization for people to keep weapons or long guns in their vehicle. However, because this shotgun-looking firearm is not a handgun and not a shotgun, not a long gun, that grant of authority doesn’t apply.

So it’s not legal because a law says it’s legal. It is legal because no law makes it illegal !

This is just another example of incompetent drafting of legislation by politicians that don’t really know a whole lot about guns and can’t imagine any firearm other than a traditional rifle, traditional shotgun, or a traditional handgun. I’m pretty sure the legislators of the state did not intend to leave 14” barreled pistol-grip-only shotguns unregulated, nor rifles with 16” -17.9” barrels, nor .17 rimfire handguns, nor AR and AK pattern pistols with 12.1” barrels.

As CQB27 said, this 14” barreled firearm, though it uses shotgun shells, is NOT a shotgun under EITHER Federal law or Georgia law.
In GA, it’s not a “long gun” because the barrel is not 18”.
See Code section 16–11-125.1 (definitions).

So, if it’s not a weapon or long gun, what law would criminalize carrying it loaded and ready to use?

In most places, no law applies. Weapons or long guns are restricted in a lot of places, but not this odd duck that doesn’t meet those legal definitions.

Keep in mind that the school weapons law and the “felon in possession of a firearm” law both use a broad definition that will include any type of firearm. Anything that throws a projectile forward through the burning or explosion of gunpowder.

Now, code section 16-11-126 has a specific authorization for people to keep weapons or long guns in their vehicle. However, because this shotgun-looking firearm is not a handgun and not a shotgun, not a long gun, that grant of authority doesn’t apply.

So it’s not legal because a law says it’s legal. It is legal because no law makes it illegal !

This is just another example of incompetent drafting of legislation by politicians that don’t really know a whole lot about guns and can’t imagine any firearm other than a traditional rifle, traditional shotgun, or a traditional handgun. I’m pretty sure the legislators of the state did not intend to leave 14” barreled pistol-grip-only shotguns unregulated, nor rifles with 16” -17.9” barrels, nor .17 rimfire handguns, nor AR and AK pattern pistols with 12.1” barrels.

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Thank you for all the advice everyone wanted to give, but I just wanted to know if it was legal or not. As I stated, my son is very responsible and I have no problems with him having the gun in his auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom