• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 yr old carry a shotgun in his car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, now that we have answered OP's actual question, I will offer this bit of friendly non-legal advice.

I would not let him drive around with a TAC14 or any other similar weapon. If he has any encounter with law enforcement, he is going to to catch unnecessary grief that you are probably going to have to respond to.

The fact that he can legally carry it in his car is going to be mostly academic when you get a call at 2:00 that he is in the Hahira jail charged with an being an underaged person having a sawed off shotgun. Is that really the discussion you want to have?

Sure, the LEO should be better informed, but it's a fact of life that they are not.

Get him a conventionally configured shotgun. I'm a big boy, know all the rules, know all the procedures, and I don't carry a "firearm" just because I don't need the additional hassle.

Good point. Another lawyer and gun advocate that I know of had a client who was arrested for possession of an SBR, a short-barreled rifle, that was actually a perfectly legal Draco pistol.

The cop never heard of an AK-47 pattern handgun, and just assumed that it was an illegally modified AK rifle .

The real problem came up when due to an apparent hatred of assault weapons and a belief that such things should not be allowed in the hands of the public, the prosecutors refused to drop the charges even when given irrefutable proof that this firearm was in fact a handgun under both federal law and state law, that ATF approved it as a handgun to be mass-produced and sold, and it was perfectly legal to carry that handgun in the person‘s car.

The prosecutors took the case to trial and then dismissed it the morning of the trial. But they did everything they could to try to pressure and bluff an innocent man into taking a plea bargain for a crime that they knew was not a real crime.

Personally, I think the prosecutor should’ve been brought before the State Bar Ethics Committee for such behavior, but it wasn’t my call; I was not the lawyer involved in this guy’s defense.

Bottom line: Just because you can carry a particular weapon under some set of circumstances doesn’t mean you should .

Since 5 been trained in using firearms, exhibits maturity and responsibility...

Has access to deadly force.

Seems to me he's an asset to public safety rather than not.

Need more like him...

Better to be convicted by 12 than carried by 6. We need no law of man to protect ourselves . what p/c gave license to search the vehicle? Who ever would give permission?

Better to be convicted by 12 than carried by 6. We need no law of man to protect ourselves . what p/c gave license to search the vehicle? Who ever would give permission?
What's that phrase? Ask and you shall receive? People and even criminals who know they have illegal stuff in the car consent to searches almost 100% of the time. I guess they don't think the police will search if they act like they have nothing to hide?

And, maybe I should go ahead and have a good 2nd Amendment lawyer on retainer simply because I am concerned with my son's safety.

Id invest in a class on the legal use of weapons for self defense if he hasn't already attended one.

what p/c gave license to search the vehicle? Who ever would give permission?

If they've decided they want to search the vehicle they'll come up with a way 99% of the time.

When you decline, they will bring in the dog. The dog will then signal( or they say he did) and then they will search anyway.
If there was probable cause they would not ask ergo they are violating your rights by performing a fishing trip. Last I heard it was $1,000/minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom