• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can I shoot a .22 LR in my back yard?

Is it legal for me to shoot a .22LR in my back yard?
I don’t believe you can be in the city limits, and you need to be a certain distance (maybe 50 yards) from the nearest dwelling. Regardless, if you have neighbors you can likely expect a knock on the door and a squad car in the driveway.

no go in the city limits.. looks like no real distance from a home..
State laws governing firearms detail when you need a license to carry a weapon, where you can carry your firearms and what the penalties are for breaking the laws.

What You Should Know:
  • While you may legally store your firearm in your home, motor vehicle or place of business without holding a license, you must apply for a license with your county probate court if you intend to carry it outside of your own property. If you carry your gun for hunting or sporting, your current hunting license permits you carry your firearm outside of your own property.

• You may be guilty of a misdemeanor if you:
    • Don't have a current firearms or hunting license when you carry a gun outside your own property.
    • Intentionally and without legal justification point or aim a gun or pistol at another, regardless of whether the gun or pistol is loaded.
    • Fire a gun or pistol within 50 yards of a public highway or street without legal justification for doing so.
    • Discharge a firearm on private property without the approval of the property owner.
    • Discharge a firearm while you are intoxicated.
  • When hunting, you may be guilty of a misdemeanor if you use a weapon in a way that disregards and endangers the safety of another person. While these charges are pending, you'll forfeit your current license, and so you must then apply for a temporary hunting license.

• You may be guilty of a felony if you:
    • Give a firearm to a minor for illegal purposes. This offense entails a fine of up to $5,000 or a three- to five-year prison sentence.
    • Solicit or persuade a dealer to give a firearm to anyone other than the actual buyer.
    • Deliberately alter or counterfeit a weapons carry license or carry an altered or counterfeit weapons carry license. This offense carries with it a one- to five-year prison sentence.

I'm in canton in a subdivision, so guess a no.

Fire a gun or pistol within 50 yards of a public highway or street without legal justification for doing so
I have to check but my back yard is probably 50 yards away from my public street.

We also have woods with trails which is away from homes and streets.

Thanks for answering my question.

Most municipalities have ordinances on discharging firearms within the city limits. If you live in the county, it will depend on the counties ordinance on the specifics of where and all that good stuff. Yes there are state laws that are set fourth. However some counties have more strict ordinances on the subject. That being said “most” counties in Ga are fairly easy going on the subject.

If you live in the city limits there may be alternatives to discharging what the law books consider to be a firearm. There’s some pretty powerful air guns out there. In most areas air guns aren’t even mentioned in any ordinances or such. Of course check on that before you decide to go all Rambo in your backyard with an air gun.

I am in Winder, but outside city limits. I have one narrow alley I can shoot down from my back door.....checked it with satellite photos....and I always aim at the ground, never up in the air, to test fire .22lr, nothing larger. I haven't had any problems, but I am not out there every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month or so.

I do fire my .410 Mossberg occasionally when we have rats come up in the yard to the bird feeders.

Back
Top Bottom