• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can I shoot a .22 LR in my back yard?

I looked up the Ga state code awhile back and read where it is illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits of any city in Ga. This would be a state crime even if there was no law on the books within your city. Now, be it known, I AIN`T a lawyer. I don`t know why folks come on here for legal advice. If a feller is smart enough to use the GON website, then looking up a law should be easy. If I can do it, anybody can. I can do it, but I don`t know how to cut and paste. That`s my limit. I don`t care to learn any more.

I looked up the Ga state code awhile back and read where it is illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits of any city in Ga. This would be a state crime even if there was no law on the books within your city. Now, be it known, I AIN`T a lawyer. I don`t know why folks come on here for legal advice. If a feller is smart enough to use the GON website, then looking up a law should be easy. If I can do it, anybody can. I can do it, but I don`t know how to cut and paste. That`s my limit. I don`t care to learn any more.

By no means am I trying to argue with you but I’m almost certain there are still cities down in south Ga that do not have ordinances on “discharging a firearm” in city limits. Every municipality I worked for however had an ordinance for it. This all my have changed here recently... and I’m not claiming to be a lawyer either. That being said I do claim to have a decent understanding of Ga code especially 40 code and 16 code. I’ve looked and looked for an actual Ga code on discharging a firearm in the city. I can’t find one. I’m pasting ga code section 16-11... which pertains to this and I don’t see anything about it being state law. (As polite as possible and not be a smart ass in anyways)...If you happen to find it, let me know. https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-1

Athens has an ordinance that specifically allows the discharge of a firearm under very limited circumstances within the city limits for pest control. The ordinance has been on the books for probably 100 years or more.

Athens-Clarke County is a consolidated government and firearms can be discharged outside the old city limits within certain distances.

I'm sure other cities have similar ordinances.

There are numerous firing ranges in city limits all across the state, indoor and outdoor.

I've never heard of a state law that makes it a state crime to discharge a firearm in the city limits. Please provide the code section.

Have fun at the Government sponsored slumber party. And while you are there making new friends keep telling yourself that it was worth it. OK, also think about how you are going to get your confiscated gun back. enjoy

Moral of the story? call the police of sheriff's office and ask the rules for the specific location and get names.

I looked up the Ga state code awhile back and read where it is illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits of any city in Ga. This would be a state crime...

....looking up a law should be easy. If I can do it, anybody can.

Finding the correct law(s) and understanding how they would be applied to real life situations is somewhat difficult for most people.

FWIW, I don't know of any such state law forbidding shooting in any city (called a "municipality" in the OCGA code books).

Not sure.....but I do.

2AC63F16-7BF4-4727-917E-D2AC1E5C35F3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom