Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I shoot a .22 LR in my back yard?

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by elloco07, Apr 18, 2019.

1. yellowhammer

yellowhammer ODT Junkie!

12   0

Rating
    100%
    I looked up the Ga state code awhile back and read where it is illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits of any city in Ga. This would be a state crime even if there was no law on the books within your city. Now, be it known, I AIN`T a lawyer. I don`t know why folks come on here for legal advice. If a feller is smart enough to use the GON website, then looking up a law should be easy. If I can do it, anybody can. I can do it, but I don`t know how to cut and paste. That`s my limit. I don`t care to learn any more.

2. twinglock40z

twinglock40z Don’t tell my wife I’m on here. Supporter

Supporter

35   0

Rating
    100%
    By no means am I trying to argue with you but I’m almost certain there are still cities down in south Ga that do not have ordinances on “discharging a firearm” in city limits. Every municipality I worked for however had an ordinance for it. This all my have changed here recently... and I’m not claiming to be a lawyer either. That being said I do claim to have a decent understanding of Ga code especially 40 code and 16 code. I’ve looked and looked for an actual Ga code on discharging a firearm in the city. I can’t find one. I’m pasting ga code section 16-11... which pertains to this and I don’t see anything about it being state law. (As polite as possible and not be a smart ass in anyways)...If you happen to find it, let me know. https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-1

3. gh1950

gh1950 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

71   0

Rating
    100%
    If you are in a subdivision, your subdivision covenants probably prohibit it.

4. gh1950

gh1950 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

71   0

Rating
    100%

Athens has an ordinance that specifically allows the discharge of a firearm under very limited circumstances within the city limits for pest control. The ordinance has been on the books for probably 100 years or more.

Athens-Clarke County is a consolidated government and firearms can be discharged outside the old city limits within certain distances.

I'm sure other cities have similar ordinances.

There are numerous firing ranges in city limits all across the state, indoor and outdoor.

I've never heard of a state law that makes it a state crime to discharge a firearm in the city limits. Please provide the code section.

twinglock40z likes this.
  5. MrJim

MrJim ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

7   0

Rating
    100%
    So glad I live in the country.

6. bobdavisga

bobdavisga ODT Junkie!

5   0

Rating
    100%
    Have fun at the Government sponsored slumber party. And while you are there making new friends keep telling yourself that it was worth it. OK, also think about how you are going to get your confiscated gun back. enjoy

Moral of the story? call the police of sheriff's office and ask the rules for the specific location and get names.

7. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Finding the correct law(s) and understanding how they would be applied to real life situations is somewhat difficult for most people.

FWIW, I don't know of any such state law forbidding shooting in any city (called a "municipality" in the OCGA code books).

8. BIKER13

BIKER13 Redneck Expert Supporter

Special Hen Supporter

836   0

Rating
    100%
    22 colibri quieter than a pellet gun

Greg_D, jaf1 and gh1950 like this.
  9. Rolling_trip

Rolling_trip The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

111   0