• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can someone tell me if this is true or not??

As simple a sentence as it is, shoot to STOP the threat does sound marvels better than shoot to kill.

so I guess the old training saying of "never shoot to wound, shoot to kill" is hooplah?? I'm of course being sarcastic, but just curious if that saying is inapplicable to break-ins?

if someone tries to mug me and pulls out a gun and shoots as I reach for mine but misses, am I still shooting to stop, or to kill? Again, splitting of some DAMN fine hairs..
The basic point of shooting someone in self defense is to make them stop doing whatever it was that caused you to pop them in the first place. Death is a potential side effect. You may pull your gun and he flees, you may shoot him once and he surrenders or collapses, or, you may have to shoot him til you run empty, Obviously you want your shots to have the best chance of taking the fight out of someone, that's where center of mass comes in. Death is only a side effect of stopping a threat, you don't want to go from justified homicide to murder.

No matter what you reply on this post, some will agree and some will disagree with you. The main lesson to learn here is, just don't go to other peoples house uninvited and you won't take the risk of having to breathe through holes in your head.

Bottom line guys. Its better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 8. If you start 2nd guessing yourself that's when you end up a statistic. If someone enters your house night or day uninvited they probably have bad intentions. Stop the threat. If you reload 2 or 3 times the court will probably look at it as overkill lol.

I'll go with not being judged OR carried. The way you do that is by making sure you understand the law and EXACTLY at what point you will pull the trigger. The only way to make sure that happens is to study the law and seriously think about what is justifiable homicide and what is not. There is no reason to assume anything about the situation.

Lets use the "breaking down my door" scenario as an example. If you shoot someone just for doing that you are assuming things that could land you in prison. What if it's some drunk teenager or a cop/firefighter at the wrong address? I know this is not likely, but there is no reason to take the chance. What will happen if someone breaks down my door is that they will have a weapon pointed at them and the moment they show any indication they are a real threat to me or mine they get stopped hard, but I have to see that is the case. This is not hesitation or second guessing my actions. It's simply a different standard on when I'll use deadly force. This will also make it VERY unlikely that I will be charged with anything. The danger of an ignorant jury and an aggressive anti gun prosecutor is almost as dangerous as the perpetrator himself. I'll make my choices in a way that will minimize the possibility that any decisions about my future will ever be given to them.

It's easy! When you give your statement you just say " I felt like my life was in danger "

That is NOT going to work. You stated a legal conclusion, what you must allege are sufficient factors that would lead a reasonable person to believe that you are in fear of immediate grievous injury or death. Remember, these acts are viewed with the "benefit" of 20/20 hindsight.

I do not shoot to kill, I shoot to stop/end the threat. I do not aim at any particular body part but for center of mass. By happenstance, that is usually a kill shot as the center of mass is usually the chest.

if im going to shoot someone i could give a **** about the law, at that moment its a kill or die kinda thing

If you can demonstrate that, the law is not an issue because it would be a legal shoot, but you better be right in your evaluation of the situation or you'll get to know Bubba way to well. LOL!

If you can demonstrate that, the law is not an issue because it would be a legal shoot, but you better be right in your evaluation of the situation or you'll get to know Bubba way to well. LOL!

true, but like i said if im shooting someone its already come past the point of no return so to speak

i will usually try and go somewhere else if that starts happening though

jcp42877;2319465} When I go to trial said:
^^^they can call this internet statement "EXHIBIT A" in the civil suit when they are discussing the sincerity of your testimony. :)

seriously, if you have to ask for when and where force is justified on a forum like this, you still have some thinking to do (especially before you leave the premises with a firearm on your person). being ready is more than just a loaded gun and some 7 yard paper plinking experience. you are making a BIG decision when you pull that trigger as Joe Citizen, but waiting until "that" moment to consider it you probably wont make the right call. There is a host of good reading and training out there...seek it. Best of luck and be safe out there.

Back
Top Bottom