• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can we get all the fudd crap out of competitive shooting?

You need a scoring system that rewards speed over everything else because fast matters the mostest.

Actually, in a mathematical sense, Comstock scoring DOES reward speed more than accuracy. When you divide "Target Points" by "Time in Seconds" to arrive at a Hit Factor, the most difference in the Answer is the "Time in Seconds" (the Divisor, if I recall grade school math correctly).

Let's say I shoot 20 Alphas on a hypothetical Course of Fire. Those twenty Alpha hits are worth 5 points each. 100 Points total. If it takes me 10 seconds to achieve this, my Hit Factor will be 10. But, if I shoot a little sloppy and score 10 Alphas and 10 Charlies, I have 90 Points. I shot a lot faster and did it in 8.5 seconds. An 10.59 Hit Factor wins....

Actually, in a mathematical sense, Comstock scoring DOES reward speed more than accuracy. When you divide "Target Points" by "Time in Seconds" to arrive at a Hit Factor, the most difference in the Answer is the "Time in Seconds" (the Divisor, if I recall grade school math correctly).

Let's say I shoot 20 Alphas on a hypothetical Course of Fire. Those twenty Alpha hits are worth 5 points each. 100 Points total. If it takes me 10 seconds to achieve this, my Hit Factor will be 10. But, if I shoot a little sloppy and score 10 Alphas and 10 Charlies, I have 90 Points. I shot a lot faster and did it in 8.5 seconds. An 10.59 Hit Factor wins....

Exactly what I am talking about. I shot a match where a guy with a miss and a lot of C hits won because he was blazing fast. It is the game and he played it well. I tend to be a mid pack shooter.

1663296654571.png

Exactly what I am talking about. I shot a match where a guy with a miss and a lot of C hits won because he was blazing fast. It is the game and he played it well. I tend to be a mid pack shooter.
I shoot all sports and can't count how many people think you can out run sloppy shooting but unless you're shooting major power factor in USPSA those C hits will kill you, not to mention any D hits. If you shoot minor USPSA you damned well shoot all A's with amazing speed or you won't win squat. In fact that's why an A class shooter in USPSA is usually better than most master class in IDPA. It's just nobody likes to believe that you must be fast plus accurate. When IDPA was a half second penalty per point down years ago they actually could outrun sloppy hits. At this time IDPA has converted the sport into tactical bullseye with 1 second per point down (C hit).

I shoot all sports and can't count how many people think you can out run sloppy shooting but unless you're shooting major power factor in USPSA those C hits will kill you, not to mention any D hits. If you shoot minor USPSA you damned well shoot all A's with amazing speed or you won't win squat. In fact that's why an A class shooter in USPSA is usually better than most master class in IDPA. It's just nobody likes to believe that you must be fast plus accurate. When IDPA was a half second penalty per point down years ago they actually could outrun sloppy hits. At this time IDPA has converted the sport into tactical bullseye with 1 second per point down (C hit).

You should be penalized for not being accurate. I shot the NRA TPC and they score hits on the line at the lower value. That really makes it tough to make mistakes. What is needed is some sort of balance but accurate shooting is far more important than just fast making noise.

You should be penalized for not being accurate. I shot the NRA TPC and they score hits on the line at the lower value. That really makes it tough to make mistakes. What is needed is some sort of balance but accurate shooting is far more important than just fast making noise.

Agreed as long as the times allowed are not so easy that everyone tends to pass. That's why I think comstock is a superior system for defensive training. Tired of seeing someone score 100% in 20 seconds and beat someone who shot 95% in 5 seconds.

Two fast C hits will beat two slow Bullseye shots every day IRL.

Those two fast C's may not perma-stop your attacker instantly, but it'll change his channel and give him pause to think about his own mortality whilst you move for better cover or slow down for that Upper A shot.

Back
Top Bottom