• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can you have a gun in your car at??

So much for “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Federal laws that specifically violate the Federal Constitution. Remind me about how our rights are guaranteed.
I don't think they want people bringing guns into a secured prison, you know cus some people smuggle stuff in to prisons from time to time. Can you imagine a felon with a hi point inside prison?

I don't think they want people bringing guns into a secured prison, you know cus some people smuggle stuff in to prisons from time to time. Can you imagine a felon with a hi point inside prison?
I can understand not allowed inside the prison perimeter fencing but the other Federal Properties are BS especially the cemeteries and Army Corp properties like Lakes.

GWL holders can have guns in their parked cars at state prisons and county jails.

16-11-127 grants the right for GWL holders to carry at EVERY LOCATION IN THE STATE except as specifically forbidden in that code section (or by cross-referenced laws mentioned therein).

(b) Except [for schools and] subsection (d) or (e) of this Code section, a person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while...(3) In a jail or prison.

(c) A license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) or prohibited by subsection (e) of this Code section...
  • (d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply: (3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked ... motor vehicle... and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

So, subsection "b" is where the general "no guns in prisons" rule is found, but then subsection "c" says that doesn't apply to having a gun in your locked car in the parking lot.

Oh, and if you think that when the legislature said "parking facility" they didn't mean PRISON or JAIL parking lots, see the definition of "parking facility" found in subsection (a)(4). It specifically references parking lots of jails and prisons.

GWL holders can have guns in their parked cars at state prisons and county jails.

16-11-127 grants the right for GWL holders to carry at EVERY LOCATION IN THE STATE except as specifically forbidden in that code section (or by cross-referenced laws mentioned therein).

(b) Except [for schools and] subsection (d) or (e) of this Code section, a person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while...(3) In a jail or prison.

(c) A license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) or prohibited by subsection (e) of this Code section...
  • (d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply: (3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked ... motor vehicle... and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.
So, subsection "b" is where the general "no guns in prisons" rule is found, but then subsection "c" says that doesn't apply to having a gun in your locked car in the parking lot.

Oh, and if you think that when the legislature said "parking facility" they didn't mean PRISON or JAIL parking lots, see the definition of "parking facility" found in subsection (a)(4). It specifically references parking lots of jails and prisons.
i knew you would be along and give a great answer.
we have known a kid since he was about 8. he did not have parents worth a crap,especially his dad.he wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong crowd. the guy he was with decided to rob a drug dealer.the drug dealer did not survive. now me personally,i think they should have gotten 5 bucks and a free meal at chick filet for ending a drug dealer.but the state decided to railroad him into standing trail with the guy who did it. he was 16 and they tried him as an adult. he has been in prison for 10 years. it looks like he will finally get a chance for parole next year.
but to the point,its a few hours down to see him.when my wife and daughter go down on visiting days,she was unsure if she could carry. she was afraid she could get in trouble.
i will print out the code and make sure she has it with them. may not be a bad idea for all of us to keep a copy in the car....
thanks again
Bob

Guard lines are specifically listed, so are many other places, separately.

Back
Top Bottom