• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can you legally carry on the job at non permissive workplace?

sheep dog

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
270   0
Reaction score
Do you carry at non permissive workplace? If so, is it a different set up than when you are not working? I see a lot of threads on edc set up and what not. Lots of glock 19 pistols or those of similar size. Those are concealed on your person at work? If not, then its not really your edc right? Do you have work edc that differs from non work hours edc?

So from what I understand, you run the risk of disciplinary action up to or including termination if you are found to be packing on the job of a non permissive workplace. But, is there any legal ramifications to it? To clarify, this would not be a workplace like a school, post office, etc where it is federal/ felony offense but any other workplace that has "no weapons allowed" signs for the property/company. From my understanding, those signs do not carry legal weight in Ga. for customers or patrons on property with a GWL. How about for employees?

Thankfully I work for myself so I make my own rules. but if I have to go somewhere like say the Federal building in ATL, I’m definitely leaving my carry piece in the van. My father will carry his little NAA .22 anywhere and everywhere however. Although we all know it’s a real pistol he jokes it’s not enough of one to count.

It's very clear in our law that it's not a crime to violate your employer's "no guns" rule.
It's just something that they can discipline or terminate you over. Employment at will is the default condition of all jobs in Georgia, unless you have a binding employment contract that says otherwise and only lets them terminate you for certain reasons (and, if there is such a clause, violating a pre-existing "no weapons" rule is almost certainly going to be valid grounds to fire you anyway).

What's not so clear to me is how your violation of the company rules would impact a lawsuit by an injured bad guy against your employer for your company's failure to effectively screen for weapons so that the robber could have a safe workplace environment in which to rob or kill you helpless victims. If you pull your lazily-concealed gun and put a bullet through the bad guy's guts and nick his spinal cord, putting him in a wheelchair for life
(and he's only 20 years old, and his grandma sings in church, and he was a good boy who just got mixed up with the wrong crowd, and was just about to turn his life around and go to college to learn pediatric neurosurgery...)
that bad guy may SUE your employer.
And he might be a sympathetic plaintiff, and his lawyer would make YOU out to be the bad guy, the bloodthirsty redneck with an unauthorized gun, which the company was negligent in not discovering ahead of time.

(He can't sue you, at least not successfully, if your use of deadly force was authorized by Georgia's self-defense laws. But who says he can't sue the company you worked for, and on whose property his injury was received?)

I see a lot of threads on edc set up and what not. Lots of glock 19 pistols or those of similar size. Those are concealed on your person at work? If not, then its not really your edc right?
Ah, young Padawan...you see, those are not really EDC setups. They are carefully crafted pictures, taken to make the person who posts them appear to be either A)OAF B)Rich or 3)GunbunnyFanboi11.

If they were pics of real EDC gear, they would be dirty, sweaty, and dinged...but they aren't...so they aren't.

As to your question, I believe the answer you are looking for is "sovereign citizen." Expatriate yo'self, foo.

Also, GLWS.

Expatriate? Are you saying it is a legal issue? Not sure what you are saying
My sarcasm font button is sticking...apologies.

The "sovereign citizen" guys talk about "expatriating" themselves. Basically they do not see themselves as citizens of the country in which they live and only hold themselves to what they would see as common law. It's a whole thing...looney tunes, mostly. They claim to not have to pay taxes or basically follow any federal or state law. I was attempting to be humourous and in doing so, failed.

Back
Top Bottom