• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can you recommend a hammock?

adrianrog

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a multi day river float and need somewhere to sleep. I was thinking about a hammock with bug net and rain fly. I'm not a camper and haven't slept under the stars since I was a kid, but am sort of stoked about it. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. Does anyone have any first hand advice?

-Adrian

92FFF64F-A0BF-4D67-8F73-05574E23E41E.jpeg

I'm only 5'9" and 150 lbs, but I've got a lot of hammock camping experience. For simplicity, I love my Hennessy hammock. I've done some modifications to make it better for me, but it is hard to beat for a simple design with hammock, bug net, and fly.

My son uses an ENO one link, that has the hammock, bug net, and fly. But they are all separate pieces (unlike the Hennessy) so it adds more bulk and weight to your pack.

I've also got a Grand Trunk single that I use as my day hike hammock. Small, light, and easy to set up. I don't use their rope straps. Instead I bought a set of Bear Butt straps.

The best overall set up that I use is my Hennessy hammock, with the fly and ropes removed. I use Bear Butt straps and replaced the stock hanging cord with carabiners. I use an Eno ProFly as a rain tarp. Also, on camp outs where there are no large trees, I've used the ProFly and my trekking poles as a pup tent. This set up is really a great alternative to a tent for me.

I slept in a hammock 1 time. Not good. Halfway through the night, I crawled out and laid on the ground. Typically I sleep on my side. That is not an option in a hammock.

I slept in a hammock 1 time. Not good. Halfway through the night, I crawled out and laid on the ground. Typically I sleep on my side. That is not an option in a hammock.
I sleep on my side in a hammock with no problem. Laying diagonally in a good hammock allows you to lay pretty flat.

Back
Top Bottom