• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can you use large rifle primers in place of large pistol primers?

Rifle and pistol primers are not meant to be interchangeable, thats why there are different primers for different uses. Just as large rifle primers and magnum primers are different, so are the ones you refer to. Also, due to the normally larger powder charges associated with loads for rifles, these primers are "hotter" than pistol primers. You do as you please but I think you are headed for trouble.

So a small rifle primer is hotter than a small pistol? I would have to disagree and add that the difference is the geometry of the primer and the thickness of the cup. I shoot small pistol primers in ar's rem 700's without a problem, and large rifle primers in 45acp. No ill side effects,

Last edited:
the information that I gave in my earlier post is accurate and correct -- call a primer manufacturer if you want to hear it from a more reputable source --

using small pistol in a rifle can lead to the primer rupturing and then damaging the gun's bolt face, they may work for very light loads but not a good idea due to the possibility of poor ignition -- using large rifle primers in a 45ACP can lead to problems associated with the fact that Large Rifle Primers are in fact slightly longer and may stick out of some brass. Semi Auto guns may not go fully into battery, or a slam fire condition may occur.

Just read the first few pages of a reloading book.

I only take the time to comment on this to help prevent someone from making a mistake with an explosive object held close to the body.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom